No announcement yet.

Best DMM for under $50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true but sometimes it's shown much smaller than the digits. I have the same problem with mine, I can see the numbers from across the bench, but I can't see the units without having it right in front of me.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      That's true but sometimes it's shown much smaller than the digits. I have the same problem with mine, I can see the numbers from across the bench, but I can't see the units without having it right in front of me.
      To say nothing of the "techs"

If you can't figure out what the meter is trying to tell you then there's something wrong on one end or the other.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        To say nothing of the "techs"

If you can't figure out what the meter is trying to tell you then there's something wrong on one end or the other.
        Yep.. these “techs” had a chemistry lab tech background. Even the PHD Chemist in charge didn’t have a clue. No idea what that little “M” meant lol! “But it says 20”!

Comment

And what they are used to. I had a guy try his first digital meter, and gave up and went back to analog meter. Why? The reading was always changing. it didn't matter to him when I pointed out the 5v reading he was taking was changing from 5.016 to 5.017, then 5.015, and so on. I suggested a piece of tape over the irrelevant digits.

They may exist, but I have never used an autoranging meter that did not have a range hold button.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I was setting the balance on a SVT I worked on last year. I forgot that I set my Fluke to MV setting while trying to zero out the meter. I was thinking it was on regular voltage scale and kept thinking man this thing is very sensitive. After I set it to zero I then realized it was 0.0000 or something. NASA type precision on an old tube amp. Any way at least it was set as good as it was ever going to be set.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I really like auto-ranging meters and my most-used Fluke auto-switches to volts if on the resistance range and a voltage is detected. You can operate it in manual or range-hold mode but it's so convenient as it stands and totally unambiguous on auto-ranging, so I rarely do this.

The one thing that grinds my gears with cheap DMMs is how long some take to get a resistance reading.

Comment

I'm looking at maybe getting this one?
                https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multi...l%2C276&sr=1-6
                Meter is a little smaller, and comes in a nice kit.
                Would fit nice in a desk drawer, or car glove box.
                I have the Fluke 89, tucked away, for when I need it.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I like Brymen multimeters, though the price in the UK is higher than I see in some countries. They're Taiwanese, have excellent internal protection and look to be much better quality than most. Many of the models are properly certified and not just printed up with a meaningless Cat level. The BM235 would be my choice and would probably even become a go-to meter. I notice that this is now endorsed by Dave Jones (EEVblog). It has some neat features such as lead/probe zeroing and auto/manual ranging.

Comment

The Brymen is way over $50.
                    https://www.amazon.com/EEVblog-BM235...s%2C639&sr=8-2
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

That's the EEV branded version. Here in the UK that's £117 but the regular version is £75. I also saw it about 2 years ago in a $50 review. The only difference is the branding and blue holster. I wondered if it would be cheaper in the USA, as most things seem to be about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of stuff in the UK.

Comment

I literally just watched EEV blog video where he is giving away 6 meters. They'll go to schools or something of a charitable source.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K44sXJK_5oE&t=330s
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

This isn’t under $50..it’s $150.. but it seems handy. Max 150v rms input but you can use up to a 1000:1 probe. I’ve seen them on WISH for $50.
                          Digital Oscilloscope Kit, 3 in 1 Universal Test Instrument, Oscilloscope + Waveform Generator + Multimeter, Large Capacity Lithium Battery(40 MHz + 2CH + DMM + AFG) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PF9TQHV..._jtEkEbWN3VC63

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                            This isn’t under $50..it’s $150.. but it seems handy. Max 150v rms input but you can use up to a 1000:1 probe. I’ve seen them on WISH for $50.
                            Digital Oscilloscope Kit, 3 in 1 Universal Test Instrument, Oscilloscope + Waveform Generator + Multimeter, Large Capacity Lithium Battery(40 MHz + 2CH + DMM + AFG) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PF9TQHV..._jtEkEbWN3VC63
                            I don't prefer to see a thread get off topic,.. But that's a lot of bang. I want one.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I want one.
                              Chuck order me one too!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                                Chuck order me one too!
                                T
                                Oh I can't get one now. Any more than I can jump to the moon. This is the slim season for painting and I'm about as broke as I get. I'm 51yo and I keep wondering when my life is going to settle into some consistency and I won't be living paycheck to paycheck. It get's tiresome.

I still "want" one

Comment

Working...
                                X