Selling your gear that you have worked on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling your gear that you have worked on

I'm not sure if this is the best location for this question but it's related to maintenance so here goes...

I'm selling an amp of my own that I bought to play for my own enjoyment, however I did have to fix a broken connection and replace a dodgy pot. The amp play-tests perfectly fine, is grounded properly, fuses are all correctly sized, etc.

My question: from what I can understand, here in the US, if you expressly state that an item is sold "AS IS" then the buyer becomes totally responsible for the equipment and the seller absolves themselves of all responsibility?

In other words if the buyer demos it and it's fine, takes it away, but something unforeseen happens such as a tube craps out in the first week, or worse, a cap ruptures and the whole thing goes up in smoke, what responsibility does the seller have, if any?

mimim.....

You're ok. When I buy used equipment, I ALWAYS assume someone has done some work under the hood. And when I sell something, I will tell buyers one of two things... (1) "I bought this, have not pulled the chassis, I don't know if anyone has made repairs or modded the amp, so to the best of my ability, I am stating it is in good working order and may not be 100% original" .... or (2) "I bought this amp, needed to make some repairs, I tried to use component values that are close to the originals, the amp is in good working order but not 100% original."

You cannot be responsible for something you do not know. So just tell the story that reflects what you know.

Comment

Originally posted by minim View Post

In other words if the buyer demos it and it's fine, takes it away, but something unforeseen happens such as a tube craps out in the first week, or worse, a cap ruptures and the whole thing goes up in smoke, what responsibility does the seller have, if any?
      Just be honest up front and you have no further responsibility. Your responsibility goes as far as you're willing to let it. In a private person-to-person sale of a used item, it is implied as-is unless otherwise stated. If something happened after the sale, you could be cool and offer to help remedy the problem in some way. You could also tell them to go to hell. Either way is fine. In a worst case scenario they could take you to small claims court and they'd have to prove to a judge that you intentionally deceived them. If you're up front and honest during the sale, it'd be hard for them to prove something that didn't happen.

Comment

Same deal as selling used cars to private parties.
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

What you said about them demo-ing it in front of you is good so you can say that they saw it was in working order.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I do a little microbusiness buying (or trading for) broken gear, fixing it up, and then selling it. I tell anyone buying an amp from me if it has a problem within a week to contact me and I will fix it or refund their money. I have fixed stuff up to a year later if it was the actual problem that I fixed. I don't want anyone to get screwed, and I have some loyal customers because I took care of an issue that they had. I never advertise the items as having a warranty, though, as I don't want someone to think they could buy the amp, trash it for a weekend, then return it. There was one guy who I did not offer the warranty to as he was a total jackass even after I had already agreed to a significantly reduced price.

Comment

Oki doki. Thanks for the feedback, it sets my mind at ease somewhat. The buyer will definitely be trying out the amp - I always encourage a buyer to do so regardless of what I'm selling. I'll just be honest and up-front and then the buyer can choose to accept it or not.

Comment

My labor has a lifetime warranty. If I have to service an amp a second time, if I determine I did something wrong, there's no charge. Forever. I don't exactly publish that because some people will try to scam you, but I know whether I made a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X