Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make a Gibson narrow spaced cover anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a Gibson narrow spaced cover anyone?

I need a nickel or unplated cover for a Gibson brydland narrow spaced pickup . Can anyone on here make one?

Its not hard to do but it requires a drilling jig to be made specifically for that which takes some time and you need to set up a locator pin on your drill press and align it- use a step drill, works great. So basically you make a block that fits inside the cover- tight- with the appropriate hole locations on the bottom that fit over a pin clamped to the drill press table centered with the bit. The block keeps the cover aligned and keeps the top of the cover from denting down. You could spend an hour just getting set up.

Comment

Would you be interested in doing that? I realize there would be a set up cost involved.

Comment

if I had the time I would do it but I am never able to keep up with what we need done- Ill see if I can get you a couple photos of one jig I made- got the inspiration from tv jones a while back then maybe someone else will do it if its visibly explained. You could also do it on a milling machine with a step drill, the jig is for quick repetition to make one after another fast

Comment

I do this sort of work all the time and have a 50mm block but not the narrower Gibson one. I would need the cover too to make a block that fits tightly enough. I don't use step drills but prefer a 118º split point screw machine drill of the correct size which is most often going to be a number drill 37, or 38. A step drill gets you to 7/32" which is a bit over bit not that noticeable.

Comment

Working...
          X