Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss OC-3 - CPU/DSP Power Supply issue

Hi,

I have a Boss OC-3 Super Octave pedal that has stopped working.

I suspect that this issue may be related to a doubling of the CPU and DSP supply voltage from 3.3V to 6.8V.

Here is the schematic and the voltages I measured (in red) for the SMPS section that supplies power to the CPU and the DSP chips.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H65...ew?usp=sharing

Is it safe to assume that I need to replace the switching controller (S-8520E33MC-BJS-T2) IC6 or could there be another downstream reason for a doubling of the supply voltage?

I am powering the pedal with a 9V Boss PS-1 adaptor.

Thanks.

Something is not right.
    Either the IC or the mosfet. (or both)
    The EXT pin should be modulating the mosfet.
    Do you have a scope?
    The IC itself is a voltage regulator that will bring the battery voltage down to 3.3Vdc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      Something is not right.
      Either the IC or the mosfet. (or both)
      The EXT pin should be modulating the mosfet.
      Do you have a scope?
      The IC itself is a voltage regulator that will bring the battery voltage down to 3.3Vdc.
      I do have a scope. I'll check the signal on pin 4 of the voltage regulator later today and post the results here.

The area near the IC and the MOSFET gets quite warm after a few minutes and the pedal is drawing 70mA of current from the battery.

I guess that would make sense if the circuit is now behaving like a Series Transistor Regulator instead of a Buck Switching Regulator.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by duff2 View Post
        I do have a scope. I'll check the signal on pin 4 of the voltage regulator later today and post the results here.

The area near the IC and the MOSFET gets quite warm after a few minutes and the pedal is drawing 70mA of current from the battery.

I guess that would make sense if the circuit is now behaving like a Series Transistor Regulator instead of a Buck Switching Regulator.

Thanks for the reply!
        According to my scope there's no square wave signal on pin 4, so I guess the IC is the source of the problem. I'll update this thread as soon as I have sourced and installed a replacement.

Comment

I would suggest that you also check the mosfet that EXT is driving.
          Check to see that it is not shorted.

Comment

The MOSFET appears to be fine. No shorts between pins 1 and 3, 1 and 2 or 2 and 3.

Someone also also suggested removing IC6 and the MOSFET from the board and replacing them with a conventional 3.3V voltage regulator wired up this way:

Input on pad 5 of IC6
            Ground on pad 2 of IC6
            Output on pad 3 of IC6

Is that worth trying while I'm waiting for the replacement IC to show up?

Comment

Replacement of the switching controller (IC6) restored the DSP/CPU DC supply voltage to +3.3V.

Unfortunately, my OC-3 still does not function.

A self test run according to the procedure described in the service manual indicated that there is still a problem with the DSP and CPU, even after correcting the power supply issue.

So I guess the pedal is officially toast.

Bummer.

I think I'll stick to using analog effect pedals in future.

Comment

Double check for any kind of reset procedures in the service manual.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X