Guild B-series Bass Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jop120 View Post
    I know this is going off topic from the OP, but the bass has a soft maple body and hard maple neck, so very bright/upper mid-rangy in terms of the bass's resonance, if you had the pickups in the Jazz bass position it'd be way bright and honkey. Move them further into the scale and you get nice controlled lows and plenty of detail. Yeh like a Ric (hard Maple through-neck + soft maple wings) same practice. Ric's are a great design resonantly but are made terribly, so some of them sound great but a lot don't.

pickups wise, don't know what they were (though look to be a Jazz bass pickup in a rectangular cover) but something wound with 44awg and A5 would work well with these woods and these pu positions, if the OP was trying make some pickups for one of these basses.

I was mainly looking for dimensions, not because I necessarily want to make pickups for these basses, but rather because I wanted to know if a pickup design I've been playing with would fit in those routes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TBurn_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	856573

Name:	TBurn_2.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	856574

Name:	TBurn_3.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	856575

Name:	TBurn_4.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	856576

Comment

Sorry, don't know dimensions, but just eyeballing it, your pickups look a little shorter in length and a little bit wider.
      The pickup cavities are covered by the pickguard, more often than not a factory bass where the pickguard surrounds the pickups and also mounts the controls, the cavities are a few mm bigger than the pickups, as this makes assembly easier.

So if you were prepared to re-make the pickguard, there's a fair chance they'd fit and worse case scenario you might have to route off a little extra wood.

Also your pickups look fairly shallow, so there's a good chance depth wouldn't be an issue.

If you know somwone with or selling one of these basses you could ask them to measure the pickups length & width.

Comment

Sorry, don't know dimensions, but just eyeballing it, your pickups look a little shorter in length and a little bit wider.
        The pickup cavities are covered by the pickguard, more often than not a factory bass where the pickguard surrounds the pickups and also mounts the controls, the cavities are a few mm bigger than the pickups, as this makes assembly easier.

So if you were prepared to re-make the pickguard, there's a fair chance they'd fit and worse case scenario you might have to route off a little extra wood.

Also your pickups look fairly shallow, so there's a good chance depth wouldn't be an issue.

If you know somwone with or selling one of these basses you could ask them to measure the pickups length & width.

That was the next step... finding an owner and asking them a favor.

With the covers, my pickups are 3.95" x 1.3" x 0.75", so yeah, fairly shallow, I suppose. As for the coils themselves, they're .25" tall... I was going for a Rickenbacker vibe, and they definitely have that going on.

Comment

Does this help?
          https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gui...needed.898314/

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post

Not directly, but it did point me to the Let's Talk Guild forum! Hopefully someone there might have the measurements.

Thanks!

Comment

I have the measurements somewhere from 10-15 years ago. I'm surprised I haven't already posted them here. Perhaps worth checking the Ampage archives? To be honest they look a little like some of the Eko bass pickups from Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                I have the measurements somewhere from 10-15 years ago. I'm surprised I haven't already posted them here. Perhaps worth checking the Ampage archives? To be honest they look a little like some of the Eko bass pickups from Italy.
                Someone over in the Let's Talk Guild forum posted measurements.

Said they were 1.160" X 3.748"... wasn't sure about depth.

Comment

Are you still looking for dimensions? I've got one of these coming in for some custom pickups next week. Can take measurements then if you want

Comment

Are you still looking for dimensions? I've got one of these coming in for some custom pickups next week. Can take measurements then if you want
                    Sure, that would be great!

Comment

Hi Chris, Bass is in the workshop, as expected the cavities are quite a bit bigger under the pickguard, so by routing the pickguard you should be able to fit your pickups. The routing looks pretty sloppy, so it's possible there could be a difference from the measurements that came off this bass to another one.

PU covers LxWxH - 95.3 x 29.5 x 15.0mm (corner radius approx 3mm - 1/8")

NPU Cavity 107.5 x 37 x 15.5mm (corner radius approx 1/4" but pretty sloppy)

BPU Cavity 109.0 x 34.5 x 11.3mm (corner radius approx 1/4" but pretty sloppy)

Bass will be in the workshop for 10days-2week approx, so if you need any other dims, let me know.

Comment

Hi Chris, Bass is in the workshop, as expected the cavities are quite a bit bigger under the pickguard, so by routing the pickguard you should be able to fit your pickups. The routing looks pretty sloppy, so it's possible there could be a difference from the measurements that came off this bass to another one.

PU covers LxWxH - 95.3 x 29.5 x 15.0mm (corner radius approx 3mm - 1/8")

NPU Cavity 107.5 x 37 x 15.5mm (corner radius approx 1/4" but pretty sloppy)

BPU Cavity 109.0 x 34.5 x 11.3mm (corner radius approx 1/4" but pretty sloppy)

Bass will be in the workshop for 10days-2week approx, so if you need any other dims, let me know.

Thanks! I guess that with a pickguard on, you don't need to be all that great with the router. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                        X