Fender Blues Deluxe ribbon cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues Deluxe ribbon cables

I have a Blues Deluxe in with a host of issues, some of which are because of shredded ribbon cables that someone tried to remedy. I don't have cathode grounds or screen V's on my power tubes, nor plate V's on two preamp tubes. I also think at least one of the TL072s is toast, but I will start by replacing the ribbons. Darren Riley has them for $8.25/ea which seems a bit steep as I need three. I know some people replace with single wires, but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to.

Does anyone know of another source, or have another suggestion?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    I have a Blues Deluxe in with a host of issues, some of which are because of shredded ribbon cables that someone tried to remedy. I don't have cathode grounds or screen V's on my power tubes, nor plate V's on two preamp tubes. I also think at least one of the TL072s is toast, but I will start by replacing the ribbons. Darren Riley has them for $8.25/ea which seems a bit steep as I need three. I know some people replace with single wires, but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to.

Does anyone know of another source, or have another suggestion?
    Neither. I'd use single stranded wires. Save $25 (+ shipping) and avoid the identical failure mode. Those ribbon cables are awful. And not meant to be flexed more than they need to be for construction. Any survival when servicing the amp, r&r'ing the preamp/PSU board, is mostly luck.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

This seems like a situation where to slap new cables in will be the cheaper option, despite parts cost, because it only takes seconds. But I think the costlier (labor-intensive) option would be cheaper in the long run (durability & such)...

Sounds like a customer choice to me. Just don't work "for free" in the process.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

So I pull the board and it's a god awful mess under there. the ribbon cable connections are a cluster fuck of missing pads , destroyed traces, and kluged bad solder blobs. The worst. No wonder this thing doesn't work even a little. So I rebuild, of course on mostly my on time, because a new customer who doesn't know me yet is going to be suspicious, the entire ribbon connector part of the board. Two hours of my time, but here is the result. Someone stroke my ego here or buy me a virtual beer or something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200117_195747.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	856516

The light is playing tricks on the left. It's a lot better than it looks. It's just like the right.

Comment

You know what? SHow the customer the pictures of the damage you had to repair. Especially if you can show him a different ribbon termination that wasn't damaged. Tell him how you managed to save him the expense of a WHOLE NEW BOARD. You got it working, that is what matters.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well with that much damage it makes me wonder if the amp owner or their friend with a soldering iron tried to solder up those joints. Then after it gets all fudged up even more they finally bring it to competent tech to fix the mess.
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

buy me a virtual beer or something?
              Consider it done. Good work Randall! Bill the crustomer appropriately.

Comment

Reading your first post my immediate thought was "If the ribbon cables were that bad then the board connection for them is probably damaged as well". And of course that's what you found by post #4.

Very conscientious repair. If it were me I'd glue the ribbon sockets to the board so it'll be harder to re damage what you've fixed. Fully worth three beer PNW (MMmmm, crafty)
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Nice work, I find it hard to make tight circles like that so you must have some pretty fine needlenose.
                  Agree with Chuck to either secure (glue) on the ribbon side, or secure your jumpers. Those cables will be flexed again in the future.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'll hit em with some clear Gorilla glue.

Comment

I'll hit em with some clear Gorilla glue.
                      Service temperature 82°C/180°F

Meh. Probably alright. I'd be inclined to go with a higher temp product. No beer for that choice. But you can keep the others

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I glued them primarily to keep them in place while soldering in the new ribbons, which I will have to do quickly. I'll then hit the topside with a bead of hot glue like I typically would do. That should do it.

Comment

Good all around, & beats the other 2 options. Let's hope you don't have to haul the main board out of there ever again.

Comment

Follow up. The ribbons I received are way too big for the Blues Deluxe, I sent them back. Darren Riley informs me the proper ribbons for that amp are discontinued by Fender. So it looks like I will have to go the single wire route.

Comment

Follow up. The ribbons I received are way too big for the Blues Deluxe, I sent them back. Darren Riley informs me the proper ribbons for that amp are discontinued by Fender. So it looks like I will have to go the single wire route.
                              That's lame. Why would they sell you the wrong ones? Surely whomever is selling these knows that there's more than one option and one is discontinued? Easier to get paid if you don't mention it I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X