Acoustic Image Focus 2R Series II Diode ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Image Focus 2R Series II Diode ID Help

A friend asked if I would attempt to troubleshoot and repair this amp for him since he was unable to get ahold of anyone at Acoustic Image. I can not locate a schematic and I tried to reach the company myself as well. I was told that the amp is blowing the mains fuse after a stage hand unwittingly neglected to switch the mains inlet switch from 115 to 230vac at a European show.

I found the first obvious trouble is these two matching diodes are cooked as are the traces under them. They are apparently protection diodes on the AC inlet labeled RV1 & RV3. I am unable to read one critical digit on the part number. They read:
    P6KE_00A
    The underlined space is the mystery digit.
    Any help in determining what these would be or what might work in place of these given the amp specs in the attached photo link is greatly appreciated!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nco53wbig5...5FBC.jpeg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8qfrvxb2l...CE7F.jpeg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9hhvafxaj...8049.jpeg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yksaym08qi...B84D.jpeg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixpazq8q9y...5BDC.jpeg?dl=0
    Last edited by jasonguitar; 01-20-2020, 03:29 AM. Reason: Typo

I see two diodes. The one on the left shows a "3". The one on the right shows a "4" and another "4". Can you remove one of those to see any hidden numbers? If it is an IN4403, that is a Zener diode. I would think the two diodes are the same.

As for the trace with the green coating removed - that might not be a big deal. Use your ohmmeter to see of you have continuity from one solder joint to the next. There have been many times when I use an Exacto Knife to remove some green coating when I am flowing solder onto a trace. It helps add to a stronger joint.

This amp might be a tough one to find a schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
      I see two diodes. The one on the left shows a "3". The one on the right shows a "4" and another "4". Can you remove one of those to see any hidden numbers? If it is an IN4403, that is a Zener diode. I would think the two diodes are the same.

As for the trace with the green coating removed - that might not be a big deal. Use your ohmmeter to see of you have continuity from one solder joint to the next. There have been many times when I use an Exacto Knife to remove some green coating when I am flowing solder onto a trace. It helps add to a stronger joint.

This amp might be a tough one to find a schematic.
      They are not 1N type diodes. I removed them and as I stated previously I can read everything except for the one digit I underlined:
      P6KE_00A
      Last edited by jasonguitar; 01-20-2020, 03:29 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The only thing like that I get a hit for is PK6E200A.
        There is one shown at D318 on attached schematic. No luck with a datasheet though.
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok... sorry...

I have heard of the P6KE series (where the 6 and K are in reverse order). So perhaps that is my confusion.

There is such a thing as the P6KE 100A diode. There are others in the series.

Comment

I made a typo. I have edited the post.
            Correct numbers:
            P6KE_00A

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
              Ok... sorry...

I have heard of the P6KE series (where the 6 and K are in reverse order). So perhaps that is my confusion.

There is such a thing as the P6KE 100A diode. There are others in the series.
              I made a typo and have corrected it. Yes, correct numbers are:
              P6KE_00A
              I am suspecting the missing digit is a 1 but would love to verify.

Comment

Ok !!

Is this the only place on the PC board where you see those diodes? Could there be others you can look at?

Comment

No. They don’t appear anywhere else.

Comment

This might be a long shot, but contact these guys - GH Services. They are dealers. Maybe they can shed some light... perhaps a parts list if they are a service shop too.

Comment

That revised number then is a transient suppressor, so the 'RV' designation on the board makes more sense.
                      Datasheet attached, the only thing left is to figure out which voltage rating they want to clamp at.
                      If you could draw up that section of the schematic, someone here could probably tell you.

edit: I didn't catch that Tom had the datasheet embedded in that link in post #5.
                      Attached Files
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                      X