Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to fast diodes in a bass amp

Hi,

I have a low-powered (tube) bass amp that I'm trying to increase performance on. As an experiment, I thought I'd try fast diodes for the rectifier. I know some say they cannot hear a difference and others say it does increase performance somewhat. But anyway, I have them here and I thought I'd give it a go.

But my question is this: I have some of two types of fast diodes here: Vishay UF 4007 and Vishay BA 159. Both diode types are rated at 1.0 amp at 1000 volts. Can I mix these diodes (some of each) or should I just use one type or the other?

Thanks in advance for your on-point replies,

Bob M.

Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
    Hi,

I have a low-powered (tube) bass amp that I'm trying to increase performance on. As an experiment, I thought I'd try fast diodes for the rectifier. I know some say they cannot hear a difference and others say it does increase performance somewhat. But anyway, I have them here and I thought I'd give it a go.

But my question is this: I have some of two types of fast diodes here: Vishay UF 4007 and Vishay BA 159. Both diode types are rated at 1.0 amp at 1000 volts. Can I mix these diodes (some of each) or should I just use one type or the other?

Thanks in advance for your on-point replies,

Bob M.
    i would use one type only,whatever it is.
    Increase performance,which way?

Comment

For the better, of course. Amps come from manufacturers trying to be all things to all players but sometimes players want their equipment pointed toward the particular musical jobs they are asked to perform. This is the case here. I've changed some filter caps, fooled with some of the coupling caps so the amp is voiced a little closer to my liking, a tweak here, a mod there. I had these diodes lying around so I thought I'd give them a try. I'm on the sidelines on the UF 4007 /1N 4007 rectifier debate. As I said in my original post some say it helps, other say there is little to no difference but I thought of this as an experiment. I like experiential knowledge.

Bob M.

Comment

Here's a discussion where Randall Aiken responds to the matter. Apparently someone took something he wrote out of context and that may be how this rumor got started. But in a nutshell, no. Fast diodes won't improve or change the audio signal in any way. The tubes run off the DC provided by the power supply via the capacitors charge. Any diodes are amply fast enough to maintain this charge. Ultra fast diodes can be of benefit where rectifier switching noise is a problem. I've been using plain Jane 1n4007's forever and haven't had a problem yet. If I ever come across rectifier induced buzz I'll try some ultra fast diodes. Or maybe just snubber the regular diodes. It'll depend on which is faster or cheaper.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...r-impact-tone/
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X