Voice of Music Amp - VM 160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice of Music Amp - VM 160

Ok. I know I have a problem. The first step to recovery is to admit the problem. I'm a vintage tube amp addict! Here is my latest acquisition. Appears to be about 1952 Voice of Music Model 160 amp. Its not a guitar amp, but it looks like a good candidate. Here are the pics as it arrived.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290178.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	6.75 MB
ID:	876273 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290184.JPG
Size:	6.16 MB
ID:	876274 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290186.JPG
Size:	6.77 MB
ID:	876275
    Last edited by tigerzilly; 01-23-2020, 06:37 PM.

More pics.

Name:	P1290198.JPG
Size:	6.06 MB
ID:	856554 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290200.JPG
Size:	6.70 MB
ID:	856555 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290195b.JPG
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	856556

Comment

Could make a guitar amp with some mods.

Schematic:

Name:	VM160.JPG
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	856559
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
        Could make a guitar amp with some mods.

Schematic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56739[/ATTACH]
        Thanks for the schematic! Besides replacing the input jacks with 1/4", what mods would you suggest?

Comment

I'd cascade the mic input through a tone stack and then to the phono input. Maybe add a cathode bypass cap to to mic input for less hum and more gain. Also add a further RC filter stage in the power supply to feed the mic input.
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

FWIW I built a little 2x6v6 amp from the guts of a VOM phonograph. It sounded remarkably better than you might expect from the 300Vp and that tiny OT. It actually had a great low end and literally perfect , classic, definition of the model BF Fender clean tone. And because of the low-ish plate voltage it would move very gracefully into thick, cello like clipping. The cabinet I made for it was pretty crappy and I'd built the rest of the circuit from scrap components PTP and all squeezed into the tiny chassis. So I decided to tear it down for a proper build of the same circuit some time. So I still have the transformers. My PT is a stand up whereas yours is a lay down (Z mount?). But the OT looks like the same one I have. I don't think you'll be disappointed
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              I don't think you'll be disappointed
              That's what I'm thinking. The cabinet on this one looks pretty decent. Its cleaning up real nice. I really like the way the amp chassis slide out and can sit on the side. Very cool.

Comment

Heres the underside of the chassis. Comes with a schematic too!

Name:	0124201910.jpg
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	856578 Click image for larger version

Name:	0124201910a.jpg
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	856579

Comment

The schematic looks good but hard to see. Do you have a scanner? My printers are also scanners, for example. A pdf scan might be easier to work with. Unless it is the same as the one posted up in post #3?

It looks like someone already replaced a filter cap, but that orange one has a date code of 1973, so evven it is getting old. meanwhile I would be surprised if all those paper caps didn't need replacement. Probably leaky by now. Note the resistors are all 20%, and even then likely drifted, but frankly that probably doesn't matter much. Just don't expect a "100k" resistor to measure 100k.

But looks good and clean.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What looks like a Sprague black tubular capacitor would not be original either if the amp is from the early 1950s.

At this point in history, it's not unusual to be doing a 2nd refurbishment of amps from this era.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      The schematic looks good but hard to see. Do you have a scanner? My printers are also scanners, for example. A pdf scan might be easier to work with. Unless it is the same as the one posted up in post #3?
                      Here is a scan of the schematic. Not much better though.

VM160.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
                        What looks like a Sprague black tubular capacitor would not be original either if the amp is from the early 1950s.

At this point in history, it's not unusual to be doing a 2nd refurbishment of amps from this era.
                        The can cap and the sprague look like replacements. The values are also double of the schematic values. 40mf instead of 20.

Comment

Here is a scan of the schematic. Not much better though
                          You're right, not much better. But a have to say thanks for doing it.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            You're right, not much better. But a have to say thanks for doing it.
                            Ok. One more time. This time I took a pic of the schematic with a better camera.

Name:	P1290221.JPG
Size:	6.37 MB
ID:	856584

Comment

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post
                              Ok. One more time. This time I took a pic of the schematic with a better camera.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56768[/ATTACH]
                              Picture seems a bit dark so lighted it up a tad.

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	856587
                              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                              X