No announcement yet.

Voice of Music Amp - VM 160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part question- part suggestion: Looking at your first post, I notice the chassis of the amp doesn't sit all the way back or flush with the rear of the cabinet. I'm attaching a picture to show the area I'm talking about. See the red dot. If you cut that board under the chasssis to allow the whole chassis to go back a bit so the face plate meets the rear of the cabinet, would that give you enough room for your new speaker? I obviously can't know without measuring, but it could be an option if it will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VM160.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	856984

In other words, cut off that piece of wood on this line so that the chassis is further away from the speaker. Maybe that gets you enough room?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1290195b.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	856985
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-10-2020, 02:30 AM.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Or get one of those plug in solid state rectifiers, they are short. If all that is in the way is the recto tube...
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And maybe find a way to touch up the paint loss (from cleaning?) of the VM logo
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Or get one of those plug in solid state rectifiers, they are short. If all that is in the way is the recto tube...
          Might also raise the B+ a bit and you may like the amp better. A couple of diodes soldered under the socket would be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            So you live and learn.

Glad you like the circuit changes.
            I learned that the old speaker sounds pretty damn good! And yes I do like the circuit change. Thanks for taking the time to provide a revised schematic!

I had a friend over today and I recorded him playing through the VM. He was loving the tone. Here are some clips.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's Tom playing the VM 160. I really like this amp. A total score!
              Attached Files

Comment

Yep. That's what I remember about my VOM build. It's remarkable how much audible LF and HF in the "right" ranges for guitar just leap out considering what a small OT it seems to be for the wattage. Like a bell chiming while you have a little water undulating in your ears I've considered sending my VOM OT to a magnetics shop to have it torn down and reverse engineered! I still have it, so there's time to decide. Sounds great.

EDIT: Just to add... The OD/clipping tone on my build was very good as well. Thick and middy with a hint of that shiny top end and the nice low end but never farty or harsh. But that's running at the stock PT voltage which is only about 300Vp on the 6V6 tubes. Just a really great combination, that OT with a pair of 6V6's at the lower voltage. It really knocked my socks off.
                Last edited by Chuck H; 03-11-2020, 05:03 AM.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

tigerzilly How much does the amp weigh, including the cabinet? Someone else told me 8lbs, but that just seems way to low!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty_Meerkat View Post
                    tigerzilly How much does the amp weigh, including the cabinet? Someone else told me 8lbs, but that just seems way to low!
                    It's not very heavy. Eight to ten pounds could be right. I sold it a while back so I can't weigh it now.

Comment

Hey Folks,
                      I've got the same Voice of Music 160 amp mentioned in this thread. The power transformer is burned up. Any idea what the specs are and where to get a replacement?
                      Thanks!
                      -E

Comment

What are the dimensions of the four screws that hold the transformer ? Should be something like 2.00 x 2.50 inches or 2.25 x 2.88 inches.

A 360-0-360 secondary means the filter capacitor has to withstand 500V surges when the amp is turned on. These days finding a multi-section filter cap that can survive that kind of abuse is not so easy. It might be wiser to get a 280-0-280 secondary and use solid state diodes and a 450V rated cap. The B+ will be about the same 400V.
                        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

A lot of F&T caps are rated for 500v, easy to obtain, priced right.

Comment

Look like the screws that hold the transformer are 2 1/2" x 3 1/8 ". As for the caps, I don't care about looks or original restoration... just function. So I'd be ok to put electrolytics inside the chassis vs. find a cap can that matches.

Comment

I looked through the Hammond website and anything that is close like 290BBX or 273DZ have 2.25 x 2.813 screw pattern. I only looked at "Z" mount types like the original VOM transformer. If you are willing to try to squeeze an upright transformer in there, you should be able to find something close to the original.

360-0-360 @ 100mA, 5V @ 2A, 6.3V @ 2A
                              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to study that. I'm a bit of a newbie to this stuff.
                                Thanks!
                                -E

Comment

Working...
                                X