Two channels, single volume control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two channels, single volume control

I am sure this has been covered before, but I could not find the answer through searching. I am looking for a simple schematic that shows how to connect two input channels to a shared volume control. My amp has two inputs with separate input gain stages for each. My volume control comes after these input gain stages and just before the second and final gain stage. Can I just send the signal from the input stage coupling capacitors to the volume pot lug, or do I need some mixing resistors somewhere in between?

You could connect them at the plates like the Marshall 18W but it does reduce the available output swing because of the loading by the other channel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	18watt Input.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	856581

Comment

However the signals are mixed, signal will be lost. Linking the plates works just fine but it offends the sensibilities of some, as it forces the plates to idle at the same Vdc. If you dislike that too, then use a couple of mixing resistors, eg 220k, and coupling caps of your choice.
      Then connect the channels at the top of the vol control. I suggest not to use the caps without mixing resistors, as difference in the cap values will create a frequency dependant potential divider.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
      X