Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High quality pliers and cutters I would recommend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too found the plastic Xcelite handles had an aroma, sorta like a balled up wet wash rag, a sour sort of smell.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Likewise on the Xcelite hollow shaft Nut Driver set. Been using those for decades, though since I moved into the long narrow shop space at CenterStaging, my machinist chest is no longer at my right to be able to reach over and grab them from the drawer. Instead, I have two sets of 1/4" deep sockets...one Metric, one 'domestic' and the cover the range up to 5/8"/15mm, always within reach in the middle of my bench atop my Philips PM2535 System Multimeter. Housed in one of the small Lane Cedar Chest boxes. Love those little boxes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter Inch Drive Deep Socket Set.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	856615
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
        In the 70s in the workshop we used to see how long we could hold a tongue on a new Xcelite screwdriver handle. They smelt rather odd to begin with, but would produce an increasing burning sensation like raw chilli peppers.
        Smells funny, let's see how it tastes!
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          I too found the plastic Xcelite handles had an aroma, sorta like a balled up wet wash rag, a sour sort of smell.
          Is it the handles that smell like that? All I know is something happens as they sit in a tool box over the years that makes the whole thing smell like complete puke.
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Well, I tend to doubt it is the steel blades...
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              I have a small pair of dikes from Utica Steel. They were my dad's. I have had them for close to 70 years, not sure when dad bought them. Still tight, still sharp.
              I hear ya Enzo.. My father was an aircraft electrician after retiring from the navy. I have more than a few of his tools that still work like new. Some of them pre WWII. He would have been 100 years old this month. Using those tool still connect me to him. When I was a child he used to let me take apart old radio chassis after he removed what he thought was dangerous. I still have the diagonals I used.

Comment

Here's why the handles smell so bad;

https://toolguyd.com/why-hard-plasti...ll-like-vomit/

Comment

So, it's not pliers or cutters, but I wanted to share the latest addition to the shop which just arrived.

It's a Llambrich super precision keyless chuck. New old stock, which I got at a really good price. I'm still in the stage where I just want to put it down on the table and look at it.
                  If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X