Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High quality pliers and cutters I would recommend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
    Really nice, but I got the ones with a retainer to prevent the clipped piece from pinging off somewhere. That retainer is a nuisance and keeps getting bent out of shape and in the way. I would buy the regular ones instead.
    I've not had that problem though I now have regular type. The retainer can be very helpful in tight spots where you can't get your fingers or a pair of needlenose with your other hand to catch the clipped off lead. Picking up the unit to shake the clippings out is not always practical.
    I guess a pair of each is the best option.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I guess a pair of each is the best option.
      That is why they make a zillion types of tool, there is one for any circumstance.

I have a pair of LOOONG nose needlenose pliers. And that long nose bends 90 degrees. So your handles remain parallel the bench but the tips point down towards the work. I bought them as a kid, and I thought they were going to be super useful. over the last 60 years, I hardly every used them.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

HF?
        Pittsburgh?
        I wonder if some part of their chinesium jaws are guaranteed to touch?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          That is why they make a zillion types of tool, there is one for any circumstance.

I have a pair of LOOONG nose needlenose pliers. And that long nose bends 90 degrees. So your handles remain parallel the bench but the tips point down towards the work. I bought them as a kid, and I thought they were going to be super useful. over the last 60 years, I hardly every used them.
          FYI these can be GREAT for spring hose clamps buried in a forest of engine wires/tubes!
          For repairing E equipment maybe not so much...

Comment

Here's some that are around $50 each in a set.
            They look pretty cool!
            https://www.riogrande.com/product/sw...ers-set/111026
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Sometimes an inexpensive tool can be remarkable in quality and durability. About 25 years ago I needed some side cutters just for one job while I was out and about. I bought the cheapest Chinese ones just to get me by. These have been incredibly good and I never care what I cut with them - nothing will nick the cutting edge and they haven't gone slack at all. Maybe they're the only set in a million that's hardened properly. My Lindstrom 8160 cost 35 times as much and every time I pick them up the springs have misaligned and one handle slid down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                My Lindstrom 8160 cost 35 times as much and every time I pick them up the springs have misaligned and one handle slid down.
                Must be a Lindstrom "feature" as mine are exactly the same. They don't have a retainer but are small enough to allow me to trap the cut off ends with my first finger.

Comment

For me, Erem is at the top of the list, along with Excelta, Utica & Optima. It's been decades since I had the money to spend on a brand new pair of Erem tools, since among my favorite cutters, these days they are well over $100 ea. I've been selectively buying cutters and pliers on ebay for years. Every so often, I find a really good deal on them. Last one was for (5) pairs of Erem 776E Flush cutting pliers, lightly used in excellent condition for $35. These are the 4.5" size, meant for small component and small AWG wire. I tend to use only Flush cutting pliers, though do have some semi-flush cutters for heavier AWG use. Also I tend to use serrated needle nose pliers more than smooth nose for better grip, though I have both. I've been meaning to put some of those up on the Parking Lot to sell for $7 ea, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

I've been buying tools since I was 10 yrs old, and still have those tools, now some 60 years later. Early in my electronics work, I had bought some Xcelite cutters and pliers, along with some Klein tools. They were ok, but once exposed to what I consider the 'good stuff', I never went back. I love high quality tools, and haven't compromised on that. Unless damaged from misuse or being stolen, they tend to be a purchase that lasts a lifetime, or until they wear out.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                    For me, Erem is at the top of the list, along with Excelta, Utica & Optima. It's been decades since I had the money to spend on a brand new pair of Erem tools, since among my favorite cutters, these days they are well over $100 ea. I've been selectively buying cutters and pliers on ebay for years. Every so often, I find a really good deal on them. Last one was for (5) pairs of Erem 776E Flush cutting pliers, lightly used in excellent condition for $35. These are the 4.5" size, meant for small component and small AWG wire. I tend to use only Flush cutting pliers, though do have some semi-flush cutters for heavier AWG use. Also I tend to use serrated needle nose pliers more than smooth nose for better grip, though I have both. I've been meaning to put some of those up on the Parking Lot to sell for $7 ea, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

I've been buying tools since I was 10 yrs old, and still have those tools, now some 60 years later. Early in my electronics work, I had bought some Xcelite cutters and pliers, along with some Klein tools. They were ok, but once exposed to what I consider the 'good stuff', I never went back. I love high quality tools, and haven't compromised on that. Unless damaged from misuse or being stolen, they tend to be a purchase that lasts a lifetime, or until they wear out.
                    I can't speak for Klein or Xcelite pliers, but the Xcelite nutdrivers in our shop have stood up under heavy daily use for over 30 years.
                    Last year, I bought a brand new Klein hollow shaft nutdriver set on craigslist for like $18 (or something crazy), and I'm very happy with the quality. However, because several 1/4" jacks take a 9/16" nut, I bought one of their new heavy duty series nut drivers to add to my set. Now I want to replace my existing set, and have them as back up because these are by far the best nut drivers I've used yet. You know when you get into a great tool when it makes the task a pleasure to do.

If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I have had a set of plain old Craftsman nut drivers for decades. Well, two sets, metric and imperial. They have served me well. I also have some Xcelite nut drivers that also served me well. One Xcelite product I like is the 99 series. That is the yellow plastic handle with a socket in it to accept various blades. Blades can be screwdrivers of all varieties, nut drivers, hex and torx wrenches. And even extension shafts. I also sawed off an extension to chuck it into my power drill. I think they make one too, but I had plenty of extensions. Trust me, using a power drill to spin the nuts off 250 Switchcraft jacks on the back of a mixer, well, you won't go back to manual.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I still have a majority of the tools I had to buy for tech school, including the set of Xcelite nut drivers. It's kind of funny. I've had them for so long that I skip the "size step". Often times, I can't tell you what the nut size is, but I can tell you what color nut driver to grab.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          One Xcelite product I like is the 99 series. That is the yellow plastic handle with a socket in it to accept various blades. Blades can be screwdrivers of all varieties, nut drivers, hex and torx wrenches. And even extension shafts.
                          My Dad has had a set of these in his toolbox for as long as I can remember.

I also sawed off an extension to chuck it into my power drill. I think they make one too, but I had plenty of extensions. Trust me, using a power drill to spin the nuts off 250 Switchcraft jacks on the back of a mixer, well, you won't go back to manual.
                          HA! We do the same thing.
                          They would almost fit a normal cordless drill chuck fine, but those "wings" at the base are just a little to close to the end.
                          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

yep, carbide wheel on my Dremel, and I could sand off the wings or cut the shaft short. Many times I grabbed extensions from several sets and stacked them. I could reach WAAAAAYYY down into something to turn a screw.

I know the drivers by color as well. I have the one Xcelite brown one - well, I see it as root beer color. It is the one size larger than half inch. It is the size for toggle switch nuts and for the oversize nuts on plastic Fender jacks. it lives on an old speaker magnet stuck to the side of my tool cart.

Comment

This Xcelite set, looks nice, and are a reasonable value.
                              https://www.homedepot.com/p/Xcelite-...C1KN/304133441
                              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                              Terry

Comment

In the 70s in the workshop we used to see how long we could hold a tongue on a new Xcelite screwdriver handle. They smelt rather odd to begin with, but would produce an increasing burning sensation like raw chilli peppers.

Comment

Working...
                                X