Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High quality pliers and cutters I would recommend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High quality pliers and cutters I would recommend.

In my experience when looking for high quality steel, I'm inclined to trust the U.S, Germany, and Japan when it comes to manufacturing my tools (with Switzerland making a strong case lately).
    This is purely limited to my experience, and I'm always open to new suggestions.
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a pair of Wiha round nose pliers, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality. The jaws line up near perfectly just eyeballing it, and there is near zero horizontal play in the action. This is hugely important to me, so I'm willing to allow a little tolerance for paying under $20.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiha Roundnose Pliers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	876279

So far, I'm really digging these and have had great experience with the other Wiha tools I've bought. Particularly the flush cut pliers I have.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

I have a pair of these round nose, another brand, but i have never used them. Am i missing something to make my life easier?

I've used these Klein strippers and no problems yet.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These Capri strippers were half the price, different gauges, and are working as good as the Kleins.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
      In my experience when looking for high quality steel, I'm inclined to trust the U.S, Germany, and Japan when it comes to manufacturing my tools (with Switzerland making a strong case lately).
      This is purely limited to my experience, and I'm always open to new suggestions.
      A couple of weeks ago I picked up a pair of Wiha round nose pliers, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality. The jaws line up near perfectly just eyeballing it, and there is near zero horizontal play in the action. This is hugely important to me, so I'm willing to allow a little tolerance for paying under $20.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56770[/ATTACH]

So far, I'm really digging these and have had great experience with the other Wiha tools I've bought. Particularly the flush cut pliers I have.
      I was dealing with truly awful soft poorly tempered steel cutters and cheap pliers from discount stores until very recently. I rationalized it by thinking that I could buy several for the price of one good tool, but it only ends up being a loss in time and quality work in the long run, as cheap is cheap and underperforms.

I bought a slightly more expensive "Cresent" cutter and pliers recently, and they seem to be holding up fairly well, but I think the cutters are getting a bit dull too quickly.

I will look into the Wiha one you listed for certain. My Dad had automotive hand tools back from the 1950's that still work perfectly, so that indicates to me quality is wide and far as a scale.
      Last edited by HaroldBrooks; 01-26-2020, 01:30 PM.
      " Things change, not always for the better. " - Leo_Gnardo

Comment

I have a small pair of dikes from Utica Steel. They were my dad's. I have had them for close to 70 years, not sure when dad bought them. Still tight, still sharp.

I had a nice pair of Erem flush side cutters, great for snipping legs off ICs, but alas they fell to the floor one day and snapped off a point on the cement.

I have a pair of these round nose, another brand, but i have never used them. Am i missing something to make my life easier?
        They are mainly good at forming round loops in wire. If you are assembling a board and don't have a resistor bending guide, you can turn wire leads with these and all will have a uniform regular bend curve. If you are replacing a damaged trace with wire, a loop around a component lead is a good start. etc.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If I have to strip more than 1 wire, I prefer the 'compound action' type, like this Klein 11063W. Definitely worth the extra $, and saves a lot of time and effort. The similar type but with auto sizing have not worked as well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Elec...0XZ9JZMN6YBCHC
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No strippers here, just cutters and pliers...

to me the best value in tiny side cutters (flush) are Hakko CHP-170‎

Name:	MFG_CHP-170.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	856586
            $4.47 from Digikey (but currently out of stock) and $7.25 at Amazon

If you want to cut steel the German made Gedore 1829025‎ pliers are a work of art with carbide blades for $32.50 at Digikey

For inexpensive quality plier/cutter set there is the Proto/Stanley J2806SMP for ~$100 with 3 cutters/3 pliers. The IRWIN 8 Piece set (2078714) isn't bad for $85

Comment

I had went through a variety of inexpensive side cutters and eventually bought the Xcelite brand. I was at Fry's electronics and saw it for about $20. I liked how they were smaller sized and I can really fit it in tight spaces. Best $20 bucks I have ever spent and even with the abuse I have put it through it's not worn out. I think they are made through Weller.

https://www.slprocurement.com/weller...ool-group.html

Here's a potential great deal on a used one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xcelite-Min...EAAOSwWk1d-uCQ
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Anyone got any splicer snips.
                I've probably gone through 50 pair in my telecomm days.
                I still keep a pair in my back pocket some.
                Handy for cutting tape, wax string, wire, and trimming whiskers!
                https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/t...-nickel-plated
                A pretty universal tool.
                One edge is serrated, and one edge is smooth.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I have quite a few pairs of Lindstrom cutters and pliers but I don't really like the handle and spring design too much. They're high quality and stay sharp, though. I always have to hand some Taiwanese cutters branded 'Pro's Kit'. They were inexpensive but have lasted a long time in daily use. I have some heavy-duty ones and a pair of really fine, slim ones that can get between pins on a dip IC. They appear to be identical to Hakko. I also have a pair of Xcelite-branded Weller cutters. Really nice, but I got the ones with a retainer to prevent the clipped piece from pinging off somewhere. That retainer is a nuisance and keeps getting bent out of shape and in the way. I would buy the regular ones instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                    I bought them for bending wire and component leads initially, but these have teeth in the front of the jaws so they work great as normal needle nose pliers as well.

I've used these Klein strippers and no problems yet.
                    I use these same strippers, except in the 22-12AWG B ER range and I love them. I use them several times a day
                    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                      I have quite a few pairs of Lindstrom cutters and pliers

well if some here go THIS FAR upscale (~$50 each!) we can include Knipex and a few other boutique Swiss and German brands!

Name:	Knipex.JPG
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	856588 Knipex

Name:	CK T3703D.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	856589 CK $650!

If you wanted one of every type of Apex Tools Erem series cutters from Digikey you'd have an awesome set of 27 for only $3400... :0

Comment

This is more my speed, and price range!
                        https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Evo...062036&sr=8-35
                        https://www.harborfreight.com/precis...-pc-63813.html
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

THE ‘FREIGHT!!!

Comment

I bet I bought 10 sets of the HF large orange plier sets.
                            I used to give them for christmas presents to the boys.
                            If you let a pair rust, or lose them, no big loss.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                              well if some here go THIS FAR upscale (~$50 each!) we can include Knipex and a few other boutique Swiss and German brands!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]56775[/ATTACH] Knipex
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]56776[/ATTACH] CK $650!

If you wanted one of every type of Apex Tools Erem series cutters from Digikey you'd have an awesome set of 27 for only $3400... :0
                              Look, Erem seems awesome. I would love to have a pair of their cutters or pliers. But I have to be very patient and often a bit creative to het into tools like that. Paying retail for high end tools in that class is not in the cards for me.
                              I will say, so far I’ve never been disappointed spending the extra money on a high quality tool. But, I have absolutely regretted not spending the extra money on a higher quality tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X