What to do with this burned board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with this burned board

Hot Rod Deluxe that someone kept pumping fuses into. Amp is mine now so I can do whatever I want with it. It looks to me like the burn material goes pretty much all the way through, so I assume I am going to have to cut out a section. I'm a bit worried if I cut out the burned section that it will weaken the whole board, and the preamp tubes on the left side don't have great standoff mounting. Any tips?

Click image for larger version

Name:	83597786_209135976917028_1051104825204277248_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	876285Click image for larger version

Name:	83752611_2614595665436070_2867559336358445056_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	876286

I'd cut it out and run appropriate jumpers. IMO, the standoff near the burnt part of the board should be enough to provide stability.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I would not cut out the burnt area, I'd replace the burnt resistor with a chassis mount type (if the correct resistance value is available) and run wires to the solder side of the board. Then repair any other damaged traces with wire jumpers as The Dude said.

Comment

If you can’t find a piece of junk board to use, use perf board. After you cut the burnt part out use the piece as a patch with 5 minute epoxy. Then run your numbers across it. I’ve done this many times and it really helps with the board integrity. It’s best to cut it out with a hole drilled in each corner first. It will keep it from cracking. I usually used a Dremel with a circular cutting blade to cut out the area.

Comment

Originally posted by eaelec View Post
          I would not cut out the burnt area, I'd replace the burnt resistor with a chassis mount type (if the correct resistance value is available) and run wires to the solder side of the board. Then repair any other damaged traces with wire jumpers as The Dude said.
          You can’t keep that carbon on the board, it is conductive. There are high voltage traces running through the affected area which is now contaminated.
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

+1.

You have to cut out that section entirely otherwise it will fail again. Firstly, photograph and draw out the traces so you know exactly where everything needs to go.If you're concerned about the board integrity you can epoxy in a piece of plain FR4.

I've had them burnt so badly I've had to cut off the end of the board and mount new octal chassis sockets and wire up a new power amp section on tag strips. There aren't too many components.

Edit: Just noticed olddawg had already mentioned patching the board.
            Last edited by Mick Bailey; 01-29-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Posts 4 and 6. There's always a way to reinforce the board. Of if not then a way to stabilize the tube socket. A lot of epoxies soften with heat. And not always a lot of heat. So do check that figure before settling on any adhesives.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to cut out the section and epoxy in some perf board. That will give me a place to mount those couple components and give the board some strength.

Comment

Working...
                X