Bugera 6260 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g1 View Post
    A reading taken right at the winding both loaded and unloaded would help.
    As well as confirmation of a good battery and/or meter calibration. And still... Maybe this is normal for this amp.?.

This is really just something I'd want to be cozy on before buttoning it up. But it's not my matter.

And probably best to just do the direct board solder as suggested by the manufacturer. But still, confirm voltages.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And we are getting "ther is 5v on the heater" or similar statement. What we are not hearing is 5v with respect to what?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If I ever see a brown spot on a molex socket used for a heater connection I hardwire the two wires. End of story. No need to measure anything.

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts, gentlemen. To clarify a few pounts in the discussion, at the winding, unloaded, I was getting 6.3v. On the thick board traces on the power amp board I would get high 5v rage (can't remember exact, would rise as tubes heated). The sanding I did was on the Molex connector pin and the 6.3v winding. I put it back together before the direct solder recommendation was posted. I will communicated that to the amps owner, however.
          Since I have had the amp apart and fiddled around with it I might just buy it from him anyway. I feel bad about the whole thing. Big lesson is dont borrow anything that you are not willing to buy.
          My son is back to jamming on it now, so that is the good news.
          Thanks again

Comment

I feel bad about the whole thing.
            No reason to feel bad, Brian. No misuse involved.The heater problem would have shown anyway.

at the winding, unloaded, I was getting 6.3v.
            As it is unloaded, the voltage seems somewhat low. But I am sure it was always like this. What is your measured mains voltage?

Any contact resistance of the fuse holder and the connector will reduce heater voltage on its way to the tubes. You can measure the voltage drop across the fuse holder and connector. Tubes typically work fine if heater voltage is within 6.3V +/-10%. So something like 5.7V won't be a problem at all.
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-02-2020, 07:45 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              No reason to feel bad, Brian. No misuse involved.The heater problem would have shown anyway.
              Agree. Brian, if anything, you saved him the cost of the repair. Like DrGonz mentioned in post #27, there was a service bulletin about this issue.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                  I remember working on a 6262 where the yellow filament wiring had to be soldered directly to the board due to the fact that the molex connector was not holding up well. Not sure what the connector looks like in this 6260 amp but the OP keeps mentioning it looking burned and cleaning pins got it working again. But how long will those pins hold up if that is the type of connector on the amp. I think we need a picture to confirm what we are dealing with...

I have a Bugera 333XL....I had a problem with that molex connector.... as soon as I hard soldered it to the board, no more problems....

Comment

That was a factory service bulletin from almost the very start. In fact they wanted us to do it even to units out of warranty as a warranty repair.

Any Bugera amps you have/see, hard wire the transformer wire molex.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X