EVH Frankenstein Humbucker pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Frankenstein Humbucker pickup

I have not tried the EVH Frankenstein pickups yet. I have read that it is made by Seymour Duncan. I have read that it is similar to a Duncan Custom Custom by some players while others say it is definitely different. Anyone a fan of this pickup and have an opinion of it? I would like to know any build details and differences to other similar Duncan pickups. I do own some old 80's Duncan pickup models, but I do not own a Duncan Custom or Custom Custom.

One thing I do not like about this EVH Frankenstein pickup is an f-spaced version is not available. I know it is doing exactly what EVH did on his old guitars by tilting the pickup sideways with Floyd's. I have an old 80's ESP made Kramer Focus 3000D with SSH pickup configuration, has an Original Floyd and it has a pickguard. I want to convert it to a single humbucker guitar with pickguard. I will have to order a custom pickguard for this guitar if I use the EVH Frankenstein pickup. I can get a tilted humbucker pickup routed in a pickguard made by Warmoth. I could use the stock pickguard if an F-spaced humbucker was used but I would have to install two single coils that sound good with the humbucker I use. On this guitar I really want to go with just one humbucker.

Duncan was always the cool pickup maker in the 80's. He still is.

I can buy a Duncan Custom Custom in a F-Spaced version while the EVH Frankenstein is not available in in a F-Spaced version. I like the sound several people on Youtube have gotten with the EVH Frankenstein pickup. If these pickups really were the same I would just get a F-Spaced Duncan Custom Custom. If anyone has tried these two pickups and checked the spec differences I would like to know if there are any. You can send me a private message. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Glaze?
      Are you wanting data to wind a pickup, or are you buying a SD pickup?
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-03-2020, 04:55 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

The new EVH Frankenstrat pickup is around 14.4k & could be alnico 2 like the wolfgang pickups . so a Duncan custom custom or custom 5 would be close .
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Glaze?
          Are you wanting data to wind a pickup, or are you buying a SD pickup?
          T
          big_teee

I am going to buy one, but have not decided which one to buy yet. I would like the winding data on the custom custom and the EVH Frankenstein because that would help me choose which one to buy. If these two pickups are different I would buy the EVH Frankenstein. If they are the same I would buy an old 80's Custom Custom wound my MJ. Prices on those old Duncan pickups are rising. I have some old Duncan humbuckers wound by MJ. If I end up really liking the pickup I end up buying it would be fun to wind my own version of it.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            The new EVH Frankenstrat pickup is around 14.4k & could be alnico 2 like the wolfgang pickups . so a Duncan custom custom or custom 5 would be close .
            coppreheadroads

A few people are saying the EVH Frankenstein cleans up better, has less compression and takes gain better than the Duncan Custom Custom. Other players are saying they are very close in sound. That is why I am wondering if they are made differently.

Comment

Working...
            X