Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for P + double coil J bass

Hello,
    I want to make a P + doubleJ pickup set for my old Yamaha 4 string fretless. I'd wish a transparent, acoustic-like tone, with well matched output between P and doubleJ position. I want no hum in every setting, so the J will be a permanent humbucker.

I'd like to play with AWGs: for example, making the two J coils one AWG42 and the other AWG43, and maybe the P also with 42/43 (to make the G-D coil fatter sounding).
    I've noticed that Nordstrand winds his DoubleCoils differently for series OR parallel use: I think in my case series is better - the PU will have more mids to make the fretless notes sings better, and probably this is a better match with the traditional series-connected P.

So, what you think about the AWGs, and have you advices about turns number?
    Thanks
    m.

If you put two coils in series, over the bandwidth of a bass speaker they behave as a single entity. I do not see how making the coil resistances slightly different by using different size wire can have any audible effect at all.

Originally posted by Marco Pancaldi View Post
    Hello,
    I want to make a P + doubleJ pickup set for my old Yamaha 4 string fretless. I'd wish a transparent, acoustic-like tone, with well matched output between P and doubleJ position. I want no hum in every setting, so the J will be a permanent humbucker.

I'd like to play with AWGs: for example, making the two J coils one AWG42 and the other AWG43, and maybe the P also with 42/43 (to make the G-D coil fatter sounding).
    I've noticed that Nordstrand winds his DoubleCoils differently for series OR parallel use: I think in my case series is better - the PU will have more mids to make the fretless notes sings better, and probably this is a better match with the traditional series-connected P.

So, what you think about the AWGs, and have you advices about turns number?
    Thanks
    m.

Comment

Marco,
      For the J halves to match the P halves you need to have equal turns*areas. A p pickup will have 10000 turns and a thinner top to bottom coil so the outer turns will be much larger area than a skinny tall j coil. You might want 43 on P to minimize turns*area and 42 on the J to maximize it so that you don't have to wander too far off into 10000+ turns area. If you do go with say 11000 turns on the J it might balance just fine despite limited string excursion due to longer magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
        If you put two coils in series, over the bandwidth of a bass speaker they behave as a single entity. I do not see how making the coil resistances slightly different by using different size wire can have any audible effect at all.
        Hello Mike,
        thanks. If I understand correctly, your opinion is that the coil mismatching sometimes used in guitar humbucker to obtain a more open tone, in a bass context (instrument + amplification) is not really appreciable? Thanks.
        m.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          Marco,
          For the J halves to match the P halves you need to have equal turns*areas. A p pickup will have 10000 turns and a thinner top to bottom coil so the outer turns will be much larger area than a skinny tall j coil. You might want 43 on P to minimize turns*area and 42 on the J to maximize it so that you don't have to wander too far off into 10000+ turns area. If you do go with say 11000 turns on the J it might balance just fine despite limited string excursion due to longer magnets.
          Hello David, thanks.
          From your answer I understand you think 10k turns of AWG43 (each coil) in the P pickup is well matched from a 11k turns of AWG42 in a single J, correct?
          And in case I'd wish to use both jazz coil in series, how much turns in each J coil you think ia a good match with the P pickup?
          Thanks,
          m.

Comment

Hi Marco,

I haven't actually done the math but Salvasan's coil estimator (which I found here: http://www.jdguitarworks.com/coil/coil.html) can do that for you once you've chosen the coil geometry and wire gauge/insulation thickness for each pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
              Hi Marco,

I haven't actually done the math but Salvasan's coil estimator (which I found here: http://www.jdguitarworks.com/coil/coil.html) can do that for you once you've chosen the coil geometry and wire gauge/insulation thickness for each pickup.
              Hello David,
              the Coil Estimator is very cool, thanks!
              I searched the forum about "turns x area" infos but found no right answers, sorry: how you compute the area?
              Is it coil lenght x width, but i need to subtract the core (magnets/poles) area in some way? And how to add the coil height to the calculation?
              Thanks,
              m.p.

Comment

Working...
              X