Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod Deluxe bailout needed

96 HR Deluxe Rev A

Replaced the filter caps and a few others from a Fromel kit. Went well but-everything functions but the tone was terrible, sustain resulted in brittleness and distortion. Swapped speakers etc, no change.

Went through an lightly resoldered lots of areas including the tube connections. No big globs I assure you.
    Turned it on and now so sound. preamp tube closest to OT’s doesn’t appear to light up. If I touch the volume pot I get a harsh, hideous sound similar to plugging in a GTR cable while on.

I’m going to test voltages later this week but given the symptoms, anyone have a good starting point.

Thanks.

How about those ribbon cables that connect the main board to the output board, they all had to endure some flexing back 'n forth while you hauled the main board out for its mods. Those ribbons love to break! Sometimes in places that are hard to see, like just above the board they're soldered into. The solder connection can look good, but the wire's broken just a couple millimeters away. They've long been recognized as a problem spot in this series of amps. Keep in mind, Fender designed the amp to be built, not to have people haul out the boards & repair/modify them.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Also, plug your guitar into the 'Power amp in' socket and see if you get a clean sound. The controls won't work, but you're looking at this point to see if the power amp section is working as it should.

Comment

I have a similar era HR Deville and had no sound either from preamp or poweramp. What I found was that pads on the V2 and PI tubes had broken from the PCB trace. They looked fine, but they were not making any connection at all.

Comment

Thanks. I resoldered v3 pins and v3 now lights up. Not sure the voltages are correct at the pins but will verify. Still no sound but when I flip the power switch off standby there is a slight reverb “ping.”

I will check continuity at the cable connectors, visual inspection is good. I may end up removing the PCBs from the chassis so I can get a better look at the connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
            Also, plug your guitar into the 'Power amp in' socket and see if you get a clean sound. The controls won't work, but you're looking at this point to see if the power amp section is working as it should.
            ^^^^^^^ That first. No sense removing boards and potentially causing more problems until you verify where the problem is.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              ^^^^^^^ That first. No sense removing boards and potentially causing more problems until you verify where the problem is.
              Great tip, I do get GTR through Power Amp input. What does that tell me?

Comment

That tells you that your problem is in the preamp section. Using that jack is a good way to verify that the power amp section works as it should.

Comment

One other thing to add to the must check list - pull the preamp tubes and check the plate resistors. I have worked on two Hot Rod Deluxe amps and found plate resistors that were way out of tolerance or burned up.

Comment

Not to pick nits, but it's not necessary to pull tubes to check the plate resistors. The plate is just a tube element hanging in space with the amp off. There's nothing physically connected to it. I do agree that it is a good thing to check.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Not to pick nits, but it's not necessary to pull tubes to check the plate resistors. The plate is just a tube element hanging in space with the amp off. There's nothing physically connected to it. I do agree that it is a good thing to check.
                      With the tubes installed, power off, caps drained and my multimeter set to 20k on Ohms scale both resistors read .48. This was read from the resistor legs. I then read from the solder connections on the PCB backside and the meter jumped a lot but seemed to have the same reading as it settled down.

Should be 1000k,right?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
                        With the tubes installed, power off, caps drained and my multimeter set to 20k on Ohms scale both resistors read .48. This was read from the resistor legs. I then read from the solder connections on the PCB backside and the meter jumped a lot but seemed to have the same reading as it settled down.

Should be 1000k,right?
                        I would expect 100k, but the issue I see is that you've set the scale to 20k. I'd think you're seeing whatever passes for over-range on the meter, set like that.
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Ok, so with different meter settings I get these:

2000k 001 than flips to 0 after 2 seconds (both)
                          200k .5
                          20k .48
                          2000 first is 481, second is 498

Sorry, my meter skills are amateurish

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmactech View Post
                            Ok, so with different meter settings I get these:

2000k 001 than flips to 0 after 2 seconds (both)
                            200k .5
                            20k .48
                            2000 first is 481, second is 498

Sorry, my meter skills are amateurish
                            Are these resistors discrete components? Do they have color-band markings? Write down the (4 or 5) color values and post. If you're reading 480..500 Ohms, I suspect that you have some other resistors instead of the plate resistors attached to the meter.
                            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Plate resistors should be 100k throughout on 12AX7s, except one 82k on V3. Either way, something seems wonky there. 200k scale on meter, try to get a solid reading. But the jumping around leads me to think definitely a bad resistor, pad, or trace on V3.

Justin
                              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                              X