Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess this might be the thread for this question on repurposing an amp. Images included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess this might be the thread for this question on repurposing an amp. Images included

Had a very old home made amp dropped off and he wants to know if the power supply and one output transformers can be used to build a guitar amp. Well the cabinet is home made and looks like rats nest wiring on the outside of the chassis. The chassis’s and probably the faceplate were pulled from something else but who knows what. Pictures included.

There are two separate chassis, one for power supply and one for preamp and output. Power supply has a Triad R-120A with a 5V3, that is a V, rectifier tube. On the output side it has 5 12AX7’s and a pair of Stancor A-8072 output transformers with a pair EL34’s on each side and looks to be wired ultra linear. The unit has a switch on the faceplate to change between mono and stereo.

Looking to find out if the power supply one of output transforms can be used to build an amp with a pair of 6L6, 6V6 something else stay with EL34 or just say no to it. If it can be used, I guess what output tubes will work would determine the style of amp.

Here are the output transformer specs I found.

Stancor A-8072

Primary impedance 7600 Ohms

Sec impedance 4,6 16

Max primary DC per half 100

Max output 25 watt

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	876312

Click image for larger version

Name:	Face.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	876313
    It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

I don't think that looks homemade, except the box. Trying to figure out what kind of organ or pedal steel thingy it could have been in.

Comment

Looks way to "pro" for a homemade. What do the guts look like?
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

I should have been more specific about the homemade comment, I was mainly talking about the cabinet which is homemade. The inside is all point to point and a mess. A couple of exploded caps, wires conveniently cut with no way of knowing where they were connected. He
        is not going to have it worked on and doen't want it back. It,s going in the pile of parts to be played with a latter date.
        It's all about the bass. Lock in the groove and stay out of everyone else's way.

Comment

Hello & Hapoy New Year,
          I know this is an older post but, did you ever get this amplifier working?
          regards,
          Susnick

Comment

Originally posted by Susnick View Post
            Hello & Hapoy New Year,
            I know this is an older post but, did you ever get this amplifier working?
            regards,
            Susnick,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have not been on for a while, Long story.

No, he did not want to put any money into and gave it to me. I have used the transformers to build a guitar amp

J

Comment

Hi jay thanks for responding, did you use both output transformers for guitar amp or do you have an extra one?
              Thanks, Susnick

Comment

I like that there's a switch for hum - in case you'd like to add that to your tone.....
                Jack Briggs

sigpic
                www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                X