X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, now we know: it was a modified Coronado

https://www.lavintagegear.com/produc...fier-30-of-50/

but just what modifications?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

from the blurb: "We recommend that you red this manual in its entirety before you plus it in"
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
      from the blurb: "We recommend that you red this manual in its entirety before you plus it in"
      . . . so that you become familiar with its features and operate the amp in a safe manner.

!!! Well obviously!
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Eschertron, have you read the part about the Slo Bro fuse? I have to laugh quietly, Im at work on my lunch hour.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
          Eschertron, have you read the part about the Slo Bro fuse? I have to laugh quietly, Im at work on my lunch hour.
          missed that one.

I especially like the part where Jimmy Page is quoted as recommending the use of pedals with this amp "Today, there is a wide variety of pedals available and I would encourage you to experiment and create new sounds" because, of course, the amp by itself is only $24,900.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

If I pay that much for an amp, I better be able to drive it to work.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

If they sell three it was worth the effort to involve Jimmy and put all the hype in place. I think the amp sounds "pretty much" like the LZ1 recordings, but not quite. There's something a little more compressed, less dynamic and "small" about it that I don't like. That said... 25k!?! Not on your life. It's just a buzzy little amp that hints at the old recordings. Was that tone so great anyway? Or was it what Jimmy did that was cool? Even so... Still not quite right. And at 25k I can only say Pffft!!!
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                I think the amp sounds "pretty much" like the LZ1 recordings, but not quite. There's something a little more compressed, less dynamic and "small" about it that I don't like. That said... 25k!?! Not on your life. It's just a buzzy little amp that hints at the old recordings.
                Well, you know, different player, different guitar, guitar isn't sitting in a mix, probably wasn't mic'd or recorded exactly the same way etc etc in my view these retro endeavours are pointless and slightly embarrassing that there are guitarists out there who might pay this sort of money just so they can say "well yeah I sound exactly like another player bro!"

Comment

well it costs < 1/4 Dumble so its really a bargain!
                  There are at least 50 Si Douche Bro investor dudes who will buy one to noodle on with their 1958 gold top LPs a couple times a year. It really should have a Theremin and violin bow included though...

Exactly how is this shop "Vintage Gear" if almost everything they sell is a new reissue??

Comment

Originally posted by minim View Post
                    Well, you know, different player, different guitar, guitar isn't sitting in a mix, probably wasn't mic'd or recorded exactly the same way etc etc in my view these retro endeavours are pointless and slightly embarrassing that there are guitarists out there who might pay this sort of money just so they can say "well yeah I sound exactly like another player bro!"
                    Second that. But give me 25k and I'll get on board to help someone do it! Right?

In fact,.. I bet I could get Jimmy Page himself to go to one of these guys houses and piss on the amp they have now for 24k and I can pocket a grand for myself

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Well, if all that digital modeling was so great why are we still bothering with this? We just uplode our sinulations to the clowd & I can just stick a Zed Lepellin rekkurd up rhere & y'all can just download it for a tinee fee, like a dollah-dollah. Chasing the magic tonez of the stahz is obsolete, muddafuggahs!

The REAL secret is in their clothes, not their amps! You gots to LOOK the part to SOWND the part!

Okay, I went a little far, but I know people who have told me this... Why do I bother building & tweaking an amp when I can get an exact replica for free from the internet for my computronic whizmodoodle amp... Because everyone is too dumb to tell the difference anyway.

Actually if someone gave me $25K I'd probably do exactly that...

Jusrin & Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                        Well, if all that digital modeling was so great why are we still bothering with this? We just uplode our sinulations to the clowd & I can just stick a Zed Lepellin rekkurd up rhere & y'all can just download it for a tinee fee, like a dollah-dollah. Chasing the magic tonez of the stahz is obsolete, muddafuggahs!

The REAL secret is in their clothes, not their amps! You gots to LOOK the part to SOWND the part!

Okay, I went a little far, but I know people who have told me this... Why do I bother building & tweaking an amp when I can get an exact replica for free from the internet for my computronic whizmodoodle amp... Because everyone is too dumb to tell the difference anyway.

Actually if someone gave me $25K I'd probably do exactly that...

Jusrin & Justin
                        Not too long ago I was researching the venerable Soldano SLO-100 and many discussions on other forums included participants that felt entirely confident to comment on the amp based on their digital patches of that model. I'm not talking about commenting on the relative goodness of the patches, because how could they know that if they never compared them to the actual amp!?! They were commenting on the actual amp and what should be expected of it's behavior. I remember one guy posting that he couldn't say what to expect with a guitar speaker cabinet because he only plays his guitar through his computer monitors. We are becoming truly lost.

Comment

Well, the proto's were 25+k ea, but the production models are ~$3,800,00. Still quite far out of my budget for a single amp.

To my tin ears, it sounds pretty close. The speaker sounds stiff and the recording kinda crappy, like a not so good mic in a NAMM booth.

Nothing like a well broken in speaker in a studio, with one of those gazillion dollar Neumannn mic's and all the right sound modules, and a real engineer fiddling with the knobs.

I sent a few links to my brother (the real guitarist in the family) and he was pretty excited about the sound. I wouldn't say 'flipped' but pretty excited.

Id say, if I won lotto, and it was enough to pay all the bills and something left over, Id think about a production model. Of course my Mrs has her eye on a "lotto" summer house near the ocean, so that dream would probably last 10 minutes.

Comment

And, don't forget, they come with a slo-bro fuse!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              Not too long ago I was researching the venerable Soldano SLO-100 and many discussions on other forums included participants that felt entirely confident to comment on the amp based on their digital patches of that model. I'm not talking about commenting on the relative goodness of the patches, because how could they know that if they never compared them to the actual amp!?! They were commenting on the actual amp and what should be expected of it's behavior. I remember one guy posting that he couldn't say what to expect with a guitar speaker cabinet because he only plays his guitar through his computer monitors. We are becoming truly lost.
                              Yeah, Chuck I can't quite get there: no guitar cab? NO guitar cab?

Comment

Working...
                              X