Essential Appliance for the staff of an Equipment Rental Facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Appliance for the staff of an Equipment Rental Facility

Having learned my check was ready for pickup, I walked down the street & around the corner to the new building where all of the Rental Equipment, Administration & support staff got moved to (where I do my Loudspeaker Maintenance work). I stopped by our Shipping/Receiving Dept across the street from my shop to see if the replacement Keurig Filter basket assembly had arrived. It did. Excellent.

I got there, fetched my Director's Guild coffee cup and the bag of freshly ground Espresso beans and head over to the lunch room to install the replacement part of their Keurig B40 Single-Cup Coffee Maker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keurig B-40-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	876318 Click image for larger version

Name:	Keurig B-40-2.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	876319 Click image for larger version

Name:	Keurig K-Cup Holder & Needl Basket.jpg
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	876320 Click image for larger version

Name:	Reuseable K-Cup Filter Basket.jpg
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	876321

I found the left-over disposable coffee grounds container still in the machine, and removed/tossed it into the trash. Then, I worked the damaged Filter Basket/needle assembly out of the machine, and installed the new one that I bought on ebay for $7. I tried the Keurig web site, but their solution to a broken needle in the basket assembly is to buy a brand new coffee maker. The American Way.

Put the new assembly in, then went to find where my reusable filter basket had been moved to. It had been sitting in the clear plastic package for all to use. The first time I left that $6 reusable coffee filter basket for others to use with their beverage grinds, someone installed it into the basket the way THEY wanted it to go in, and not only would the lid of the machine not close, but it bent the piercing needle in the basket over, disabling the machine. I managed to straighten it that first time. Days later, either the same bright person (or someone else) did the same thing and again, the machine was unable to make coffee, and now, the entire machine had been removed from the counter! I inquired, was told by one person it was broken and thrown away, but someone of higher intelligence led me to find it sitting on top of the refrigerator. So, I brought it back down, again straightened the bent-over needle without it breaking off, and was able to make coffee again.

That reusable filter basket has reliefs in both the front and rear of the plastic basket, along with a flat across the back of the container, which allows the piecing needle in the top half of the machine to miss bending that needle on the top of the lid, and the relief likewise prevents bending the needle in the bottom. So, this time, I put some gaffer's tape on the machines' lid that you raise to insert the coffee module, with instructions HOW to install the reusable basket, and a warning of the results for not following instructions.

So, the new part arrived, and my reusable basket is now gone, altogether! No doubt someone used it, and did the sensible thing when they were thru.....throw the part with the wet grinds into the trash. What could be simpler? So much for getting a fresh cup of coffee over there.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

I have a problem with those single cup coffee makers with all the trash they cause. A disposable container for every cup of coffee just seems wrong to me.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      I have a problem with those single cup coffee makers with all the trash they cause. A disposable container for every cup of coffee just seems wrong to me.
      How about when they bag items at the grocery store that have a handle?

But all in all you can't change anyone's mind on what they want or how they choose to spend their money. We do what we want to do, cuz we adults now ain't we?

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
        I've never stopped to talley up what it costs for a cup of coffee using those pre-packaged disposable containers vs ground coffee, or beans & grind them as needed, which is what I do. I'm sure those 'convenient' disposable ones raise the cost for a cup of coffee somewhere like buying coffee at Starbucks. No thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          How about when they bag items at the grocery store that have a handle? nosaj
          When I catch a check-out clerk grab the 1 gal jug of water with the molded handle and try and slip it into a plastic bag, I just eyeball them and ask what it is they think they're doing? Is that how YOU take these home with you? Or do you ALSO use the product's molded handle like you're supposed to? We know intelligence tests are NOT given to these people when being hired. Probably some law against that......discrimination for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
            When I catch a check-out clerk grab the 1 gal jug of water with the molded handle and try and slip it into a plastic bag, I just eyeball them and ask what it is they think they're doing?
            I'm with ya Nevets. I tell 'em "just put a sticker on it" and they'll do that at stores that sticker items too big to bag. Other stores don't use sticker but apparently trust that I'm not gonna shoplift gallons of water. Since Jan 1 some counties in NY have outlawed the single use plastic bags entirely, and soon it looks like that will be a state wide law. Thank the Republic of Ireland for starting the trend - they got sick of seeing what folks were calling "Irish pennants," zillions of those bags flapping in the wind, stuck in tree and shrubbery branches. That was all about 15 years ago, and there was a hue & cry at first as you might expect. But people settled down, got a couple of reusable canvas bags each & now the countryside is looking a lot cleaner. It's important for a country that depends a lot on tourism, "we mustn't be looking shabby now boyo." We should praise the Irish for setting a good example. I'm surprised the ever-so-trendy-and-politically-correct Peoples Republic of California hasn't yet gotten up to speed on this.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

If I'm going to make coffee, I'll just make a pot. I never drink just one cup anyway. Phhooey on those "one cuppers".
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                I'm with ya Nevets. I tell 'em "just put a sticker on it" and they'll do that at stores that sticker items too big to bag. Other stores don't use sticker but apparently trust that I'm not gonna shoplift gallons of water. Since Jan 1 some counties in NY have outlawed the single use plastic bags entirely, and soon it looks like that will be a state wide law. Thank the Republic of Ireland for starting the trend - they got sick of seeing what folks were calling "Irish pennants," zillions of those bags flapping in the wind, stuck in tree and shrubbery branches. That was all about 15 years ago, and there was a hue & cry at first as you might expect. But people settled down, got a couple of reusable canvas bags each & now the countryside is looking a lot cleaner. It's important for a country that depends a lot on tourism, "we mustn't be looking shabby now boyo." We should praise the Irish for setting a good example. I'm surprised the ever-so-trendy-and-politically-correct Peoples Republic of California hasn't yet gotten up to speed on this.
                You have any of these bags?
                https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...bags-backfired
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  If I'm going to make coffee, I'll just make a pot. I never drink just one cup anyway. Phhooey on those "one cuppers".
                  Me too. I can fill my mega-mug 3 times from a 12 cup pot.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    That's what I do in the shop. Cheap & maintained $20 Hamilton-Beech coffee maker, Krups bean grinder, and Trader Joes Five Countries Espresso Beans. But, at the other building, somebody else is using cheap terrible-tasting coffee, so I keep Espresso on hand and use that Keurig machine with the reusable filter. Now just have to go buy another filter since the one I had provided/used is now who-knows-where.
                    Last edited by nevetslab; 02-15-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                      Me too. I can fill my mega-mug 3 times from a 12 cup pot.
                      I rarely get more than a few sips from my freshly-poured Espresso (not brewed to real Espresso density....just like it as a rich flavored coffee), and invariably, what has gotten cold or luke warm gets poured back into the pot and a fresh half-cup is poured again. 7 cups in the pot lasts me all day.

Comment

It's hard to chug hot coffee. Maybe that's why I drink so much, I don't mind it cold at all. Especially in the summer.
                        First couple cups in the day have got to be hot though.
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                          ...... (not brewed to real Espresso density....just like it as a rich flavored coffee)......
                          That's the same thing I do. It's just a bit "stouter" than your normal coffe. I also grind my own beans. My brother is also a coffee lover and he's been buying un-roasted beans and roasting them in an air popper. I have yet to try it myself, but I can only imagine how fresh it must be.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I can't over-emphasize how good chocolate covered espresso beans are either (in case of emergency water outage).
                            Be prepared!

Comment

First world problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X