What causes power tube flash-over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes power tube flash-over?

I've have a Marshall Super Lead on the bench, turned it off standby and one EL34 flashed (bright blue-white, def. an arc). Turned the standby off for a few seconds and back on, and two of the tubes flashed (not at the same exact time).

The tubes in the amp are newer Chinese Valve Arts EL34s 'apex matched' from CE/AES, probably not original. I've had fairly good luck with these to date.

I know once they've flashed, they're done, and are more likely to flash going forward, but what causes the initial flash-over from plate to screen/cathode/whatever? A big voltage surge perhaps, like unplugging the speaker while playing loud? Or perhaps cranking it with no speaker attached? I have no history on the amp, but it has a 2015 S/N, is in like-new condition, and definitely hasn't been gigged.

Very excessive voltage (unusual), gas or broken electrodes that short out are more common IMHO. Over dissipation can lead to both the last two failures.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Good point. I wonder if whoever put the new quad in bothered to check the bias...

Comment

And a broken screen wire can touch something else inside. Screens being the most delicate part of the tube.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This is why I like beam tubes.

Comment

Working...
          X