Line 6 Spider 3 150 watt 2x12 combo shuts off by itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Spider 3 150 watt 2x12 combo shuts off by itself

Pretty much it... I abhor working on Line 6 crap....but.... this is an opportunity that could lead to a great many other opportunities so....here we are.... basically dude says it shuts off after an hour or so of loud playing... he turns it off for a bit then back on and its good... I've taken it apart and all looks well inside... nothing obvious.... Hell... the Kapton insulators on the heatsink havent even started to melt... I've played it pretty loud for an hour and a half and couldn't get it to fault like he said... anybody come across anything like this? Thank you for your time...

Well, "pretty loud" in your shop is most likely a lot less loud than him on stage. Just a guess. But even after you play it a while are the heat sinks getting warm or hot?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

They are warm but not smokin hot... I can touch them no problem... maybe the vibrations are causing a ribbon cable to come loose? I didnt see any of the silicone loose they use to keep them in place though... that doesnt make sense.. I checked for cold solder joints with my magnifying lenses and an eye loupe...could the power supply caps be going out? That thing is fairly old as its the Spider 3... just spitballing at this point...

Comment

Loose connection? Maybe, ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp hard. Does that either make it cut out, or come back on? Or does it even just make some noise in reaction? If your fist is tender, use a rubber mallet.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I pounded on the amp pretty hard with my fist... didnt cut out...I also asked the customer what volume he was jamming at and set the amp accordingly.... played for an hour and 10 minutes....it did not cut out....didnt even hiccup...

Comment

Originally posted by Danglin' Fury View Post
            Pretty much it... I abhor working on Line 6 crap....but.... this is an opportunity that could lead to a great many other opportunities so....here we are.... basically dude says it shuts off after an hour or so of loud playing... he turns it off for a bit then back on and its good... I've taken it apart and all looks well inside... nothing obvious.... Hell... the Kapton insulators on the heatsink havent even started to melt... I've played it pretty loud for an hour and a half and couldn't get it to fault like he said... anybody come across anything like this? Thank you for your time...
            What about the rest of his gear? Power extension cord dropping voltage so that a regulator drops out? Faulty guitar cable? Faulty loudspeaker cable. Do they use a radio link? The transmitter could have spurious emissions thus breaking through and causing the amplifier to oscillate.

Do you know any Yamaha technicians or dealers? They can log onto the Yamaha service portal which has (did when I had an account) a section for various faults on their products.

Comment

Pretty sure there are ZERO yamaha techs or dealers in my neck of the woods... the guitars are fine... it does its thing with different instrument cables and different guitars as well... it's a combo so that rules out external cables... maybe I will just resolder every connection in the power supply and out to the speakers... the speaker connections are crappy little pins and a plastic connector... maybe that's what it is....

Comment

Working...
              X