Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Altec 342B Tube Amplifier - What is it good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
    There are 12 wires on the secondary side of the power xfmr, so make sure ALL of them have been disconnected and isolated. You could be right, which would be a real shame.
    Ok. Physically disconnected all 12 secondary leads. Powering up the primary is like turning on a switch to my light bulb limiter. Bright light, nothing out of the secondaries. I'm sad.
    Attached Files

Comment

Just for grins, disconnect the primary wires too, and power up. Want to make sure there is not some short on the mains side.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Just for grins, disconnect the primary wires too, and power up. Want to make sure there is not some short on the mains side.
        Ok. I gave that a try but there was nothing left to power up.

Comment

Transformer out and opened up.
          Attached Files

Comment

nothing left to power up.
            Just a quick check. Nothing left to power up except the power cord, fuse holder, switch, wires. It won't DO anything, but for example I once found a power toggle switch that had an internal short from one of the contacts to the bushing. That means the mains get grounded to chassis.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post
              Transformer out and opened up.
              Major bummer. Sigh..................

Well, you can get the xmfr dimensions, mounting foot print, and start searching for a similarly rated transformer. You should be able to find one that has either independent bias winding, or a tap on the HT winding (besides the secondary). Probably will only find single 6.3VAC C/T heater, might also find one with the 5VAC heater for the 5AR4 rectifier tube....though at this point, revising the heater system, perhaps adding a separate small heater xfmr to yield the 12.6VDC heater as was used in the 342B. You could, of course use diode rectifiers in place of the tube rectifier, just to reduce the winding count on the replacement. All is not lost. Just have entered the retrofit realm to restore the mixer to life, less the original Peerless Power Xfmr.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                Major bummer. Sigh..................
                I think I'll put the amp to the side and wait for a Peerless 6192A transformer to show up for sale.

Comment

Working...
                X