OT primary side reversed wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT primary side reversed wires

I have found out that the RED and BLUE wires on the primary side of the output transformer are switched, according to the schematics RED should go to the plates of V7 and V8 in reality it is going to V9 and V10. Same thing with the BLUE wire instead of going to V9 and V10 as per schematics, it is actually going to V7 and V8. Does this matter, should I correct this? I think I have read long time ago that this can cause weird sounds to appear??? The amp is Laney VH100R. The schematics is attached.
    Attached Files

If the wires were wrong, the amp would be oscillating because you'd have positive instead of negative feedback. If the amp has been working all this time, it's extremely unlikely it's wired wrong, unless someone replaced the transformer, wired it wrong, and you have an oscillation problem. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Well I started investigating OT because the sound is just not fat and big as I want it to be, all the measurements with DMM are OK, OT seems to have no issues, I just noticed that schematics is different so I thought I should ask..

Comment

I've had factory OEM replacement tranformers be "wrong". For that reason, when I replace an OT, I don't trim the wires until I verify that it's wired correctly. You'll often find primary wires color coded differently/phasing opposite of what it should be.

Comment

The only way to 'know' is to break the feedback loop. (R58 and the Resonance switch in the open position)

If the signal increases, then the wiring is correct.
          Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 02-19-2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I would guess you may find the grid connections (P26 and P28) reversed as well.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              I would guess you may find the grid connections (P26 and P28) reversed as well.
              Nope, those are like on the schematics, P26 is going to V7 and V8 and P28 is connected to V9 and V10

Anyway I just looked up photos of open Laney's on the internet, and noticed they all look like this one, so the factory simply does not respect the schematics color code..
              Last edited by Emetal; 02-19-2020, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emetal View Post
                Nope, those are like on the schematics, P26 is going to V7 and V8 and P28 is connected to V9 and V10

Anyway I just looked up photos of open Laney's on the internet, and noticed they all look like this one, so the factory simply does not respect the schematics color code..
                Or,.. A shipment or two of OT's to Laney had the wire colors wrong and Laney just improvised. It happens.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Or, as often happens, the engineers/designers drew the schematic based on parts they used to build and design the amp. Then, the bean counters found a cheaper source for the transformer for production models and the wire colors were different from that vendor.

Comment

Working...
                  X