Solarus tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solarus tubes

Im working on a 69 Solarus . This one is wired for the 7199 / EL34 combo. 60 watts ?

I do have a 6an8 and 6550 pair here , but i dont want to re-wire that socket....one reason is neither scem matches the amp , which Im told is kinda normall for old Sunns ?

My question is , at 530vdc plates (with el34s in there ) are modern el34s ok with that kind of voltage? I have several brands here . Would it be safer to go to 6550 , even though i think they draw more current ??

Has anyone swapped these ? Tone difference ?

FWIW there are pin-scrambler adapters that let you run a 6GH8 or 6U8 in a 7199 socket. Expect about $20. Antique/Tubesandmore is where I got mine. I get best results generally from 6GH8A, and find I have to select for lowest noise.

As long as you alter your bias supply so it can provide voltage needed by 6550 you can use them. Or KT88 for a real treat.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

ok thanks----looks like i would have to dremel off the tube shield base , to use that adapter ?

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
        ok thanks----looks like i would have to dremel off the tube shield base , to use that adapter ?
        I s'pose, thems the choices. Maybe just as well to replace the socket entirely. Whichever tube you use, it's an inverter/drive section for your power tubes. Having a cover over the tube won't make much difference as far as noise/hum. OTOH I have run across plenty of humming 7199's. 6GH8A, not so much.

About the other choice, 6AN8, they were commonly used in a similar way to 7199, an inverter/drive system. I noticed they were also getting scarce about 10 years ago.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

They used the 6AN8 with the KT88 amps, and the 7199 with the EL34 amps.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yep, I have a 7199 on the way. If its noisy i will go with the adapter and a 6an8 / kt88

Comment

Working...
            X