5150 LED strip lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 LED strip lights

I have a guy who asked if I could install some LED strip lights to his head box. Where would a GOOD place to tap 12vdc into be at?

There's no 12vDC but you could use the 23V supply, divide the LED strips and run them in series. Some of these strips can draw a fair amount of current - so think about the loading.

https://www.waveformlighting.com/pcb...n-a-24v-system

Comment

Depending on the current draw of the LED strip, I would install a separate power pack. (why mess with the amp?)

Comment

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...xKtWirsA%3D%3D

this would probably fit ok with some double stick or velcro

Comment

I don't know about the one in the link, but some of the LED power supplies - 'electronic transformers' - can couple a lot of radiated noise into the preamp. Most are a crude SMPS in a plastic housing with no screening.

Comment

LEDs can be run off AC. BUT I would use a separate transformer or a wall wort with a rectifier and a PI filter. Easy and cheap.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will most likely use something that will have its own plug. I guess he wanted one switch and all.

Comment

The LEDs likely need very low current, so a very small transformer could power them. I agree to rectify the AC and filter it, but that takes little room as well. Mount the little transformer inside the chassis and wire its primary to the mains circuit of the amp. Then it comes on and off with the power switch, and doesn't take up another spot on your power strip.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  The LEDs likely need very low current, so a very small transformer could power them. I agree to rectify the AC and filter it, but that takes little room as well. Mount the little transformer inside the chassis and wire its primary to the mains circuit of the amp. Then it comes on and off with the power switch, and doesn't take up another spot on your power strip.
                  Just an example (new thread coming on this) . This circuit board is out of an 8ft led lamp, there are 2 of them each running a 4ft 120 led strip . Just posting for size compatibility to give you an idea hope it helps.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3136.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	856809
                  If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

Oh now that looks like a winner!

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
                      Just an example (new thread coming on this) . This circuit board is out of an 8ft led lamp, there are 2 of them each running a 4ft 120 led strip . Just posting for size compatibility to give you an idea hope it helps.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]57095[/ATTACH]
                      That looks like a SMPS to me. It may generate a a bunch of noise. Especially if you mount it inside an amp. We were suggesting using a conventional transformer with a PI filter. If you go to any thrift store you will find a bunch of wall worts which would probably work fine for a dollar or two. If you must use this power supply, dry run it before mounting it using the amp in simulated a performance. That kind of gain picks up any ambient noise easily.

Comment

Yes, a crude SMPS. No common-mode filtering, no EMI filtering. The PWM is dirty and noisy, especially when run 'light' with a load a lot less than it was designed for. A lot of the cheap ones come with unverified standards/compliance numbers and do not meet minimum noise requirements. Besides radiated noise, both from the unit and from connection leads to the LED, they can put noise back onto the mains.

Not so bad at a distance, but as an experiment hold your guitar near to one of these, especially with some gain on the amp. Now think how that may sound built into the amp. They may not all be bad, but you'd have to pick the right one or be lucky.

Comment

Working...
                        X