Odd Shure mic connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Shure mic connector

I'm trying to wire up this four pin XLR to a mic cable for an EV model 664 mic. Problem is, I can't seem to get the rubber sheath off. It doesn't want to slide off, and if I peel it back it appears to go inside two slots in the metal. Does anyone have any insight into this connector and how to use it? I have never seen one like it, and I don't want to damage it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	876344Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	876345
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

It is a four pin, but not an XLR, but that doesn't help you.

I might heat the sheath with a heat gun, staying back far enough not to melt it. I might wedge small screwdrivers under the edge or even hardwood toothpicks, to lift the edge over the grooves.

Unless it is molded to the cord.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Is there a set screw on the side of the connector that allows the pin part to come out like the connector in a microphone? Maybe the rubber sleeve part stays put? It's a Shure connector and most all of their male XLR's have the same plastic/pin thingy with the set screw on the side.
      Last edited by The Dude; 02-20-2020, 11:44 PM.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Is the rubber stopping the threaded ring from you pushing it down? Agree with The Dude that there is probably a set screw under that ring. I think if you can push the rubber back a bit so the ring moves down, you may see a set screw.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"Maybe the rubber sleeve part stays put?"

I'm starting to believe that. Where you'd expect to find a set screw there is an indentation that looks like it was stamped in, causing it to bulge out on the inside over the top of the 4 pin plug, holding it in place. Is it possible this connector was never meant to come apart?

Name:	009.JPG
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	856782

Comment

It might be under that threaded collar. Is there a way to thread it off or forward enough to look under it?

This is a typical Shure XLR male connector showing where the set screw would be if there was one.

Name:	241668.jpg
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	856783

Edit: FWIW, if you do find a hole with the set screw, they are reverse threaded.
            Last edited by The Dude; 02-21-2020, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Here it is with the rubber forced back and the ring out of the way. I have made hundreds of XLR cables in my time, there is no set screw on this one.

Name:	011.JPG
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	856784

Comment

I haven't seen one like that but would the plastic part unscrew like the all-metal ones?

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1582249522
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, it was worth a shot. I haven't seen one without a set screw.

Comment

I don't think it does unscrew. I will correct myself as Enzo said, it is not XLR, but an Amphenol MC4M. I think I'm getter warmer here, I found this:

https://www.adorama.com/shc11c.html

It looks right. I wonder if this a Shure branded connector in name only since it is a Shure cable, not meant to be serviced?
                    Last edited by Randall; 02-21-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Very possible. If no set screw, I'd try to carefully remove the rubber, maybe with some heat like Enzo suggested. If you destroy it, you could maybe make something out of heat shrink and left over parts.

Comment

Yeah, but even if I do get the rubber off, it sure doesn't look like those four pins are ever coming out of the shell, since it looks to me to be stamped shut. I think this is a lost cause.

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/p/1301541840?ii...iABEgJ30PD_BwE

Spendy little connector!

Comment

Exactly. Customer apparently got bilked on this one, thinking he was avoiding the cost of the alternative.

Comment

At least the one I linked comes apart for repairs. Let me guess- a $30 connector for a $20 mic?

Comment

Working...
                              X