No announcement yet.

Odd Shure mic connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears it was clipped from a handheld police/fire/cab mic with an on switch. This manual shows in spare parts as "cable and plug assembly", which is still being sold. It was never meant to come apart.

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/A..._418A_user.pdf
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

What is the intended use? Could you just use a standard 3 pin XLR? Is it possible to change the connector in the microphone?
      Last edited by The Dude; 02-21-2020, 01:47 AM.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        At least the one I linked comes apart for repairs. Let me guess- a $30 connector for a $20 mic?
        I see the same connector is spec'd for Shure 545D. Good thing mine is still working! The ol' pistol-grip hi school stage mic has been my fave snare mic for decades - I stuck it back together numerous times, the most recent just a couple weeks ago. The mic looks like Frankenstein with all its patches. But that connector - still rockin' !

There's something nice about the EV 664/5/6 series too, an old fashioned "warm" tone worth having in any mic collection. Heck if it took a $30 connector to make it work, I wouldn't think twice, just do it.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

"What is the intended use? Could you just use a standard 3 pin XLR? Is it possible to change the connector in the microphone? "

It is intended to be used in a recording studio, and probably a music video or two. It might be possible to change out the mic to XLR, but I doubt that would be easy. PLus, I never want to change a vintage mic in nice shape. Leave it alone and make a cable for it.

Comment

You may be correct that 'they were not made to come apart'
            I think the wires where soldered into the pins (like a Fender reverb/ footswitch connector) and then the shell was crimped to lock it.

The only replacement wire with plug that I could find was a coiled wire type.
            Shure C14C.
            Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 02-21-2020, 03:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Switchcraft L(x)MN Retrofit Connector for replacing Amphenol MC4F mic output connector

Originally posted by Randall View Post
              "What is the intended use? Could you just use a standard 3 pin XLR? Is it possible to change the connector in the microphone? "

It is intended to be used in a recording studio, and probably a music video or two. It might be possible to change out the mic to XLR, but I doubt that would be easy. PLus, I never want to change a vintage mic in nice shape. Leave it alone and make a cable for it.
              It's been a few years since I've bought the Switchcraft L3MN Male XLR connectors, but these were made to directly retrofit into any of the microphones that used these Amphenol MC4F connectors, which accepted the 4-pin male mating connector, which had horrible stain reliefs, always requiring repairs. I had changed all my Shure 545 mics that used them with the L3MN, so it turned the mic into a standard XLR Male output as we're used to working with. I've attached the data sheet.

Switchcraft L3MN Replacement 91-MC4F.pdf

These came equipped with the knurled locking ring as used with the original mating Amphenol cable connector.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                I had changed all my Shure 545 mics that used them with the L3MN, so it turned the mic into a standard XLR Male output as we're used to working with. I've attached the data sheet.
                Leave it to you to come up with the miracle solution Nevets! I'm impressed !!!
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  Leave it to you to come up with the miracle solution Nevets! I'm impressed !!!
                  Now, the hard part is finding who still has them available for sale. I seem to recall that was an issue when I had tracked down the four pieces I bought. I don't think you can find them at Switchcraft anymore. I just checked, and I have just these two left, having installed the other two on an EV 644 and an EV 676 mic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Switchcraft L3MN Connector-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	856790 Click image for larger version

Name:	Switchcraft L3MN Connector-2.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	856791 Click image for larger version

Name:	TRV-1.jpg
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	856794 Click image for larger version

Name:	Output Conn-1.jpg
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	856796 Click image for larger version

Name:	TFV-1.jpg
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	856797
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I just had an exchange with an engineer at Shure, sent him pics. He said they have not used that connector for about 40 years, and they have no info on how it might come apart. I am at peace with the belief that it does not.

Comment

These guys would know for sure. Post a wanted to the classified.
                      https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...2716e7cc1bb7af

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                        These guys would know for sure. Post a wanted to the classified.
                        https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...2716e7cc1bb7af
                        Looks an awful lot like a 4 pin CB connector to me. Any chance you have an old cb radio you could test the mating pattern with?

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I think the CB connector is about 30% smaller.

Suggest: CALL Rapco/Horizon, and ASK them if they still have the four pin screw-on connector for old EV mics like your 664. If so they might sell you connectors or they would make up a cable. I used to sell their cables, and at first I bought connectors and made cables, but they charge the same for materials or made up cables. And any special ones, like RCA to XLR or something were no extra charge, though it might take an extra day or two.

https://www.rapcohorizon.com/topic/support
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And for that matter, SHure made your cable, but your mic is an EV, I think I might call EV and ask after connectors.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
                              Now, the hard part is finding who still has them available for sale. I seem to recall that was an issue when I had tracked down the four pieces I bought. I don't think you can find them at Switchcraft anymore. I just checked, and I have just these two left, having installed the other two on an EV 644 and an EV 676 mic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57059[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57060[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57063[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57065[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]57066[/ATTACH]
                              Good stuff Nevets! IMO, that doesn't effect the "vintageness" at all. I don't see it as effecting value any more than clipping out a death cap and adding a grounded cable to an amp.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X