Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey 5150 Head Power Tube Socket Type ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 Head Power Tube Socket Type ?

Hi,its my first post here under this name..I did have an account but haven't logged in in a long time so here goes !

I bought a Peavey 5150 amp head about 1 month ago,and upon arrival of amp to my house i did my usual used amp go over and look at all the chassis internals and tubes etc,and Yes I did discharge all the caps etc.

I did notice that the power tube socket when looking at the rear panel on the far left,the tube that was installed in the amp when I got it was sticking up off the base of the tube socket about an 1/8",and I could not push it down to fully seat it,so I yanked all the tubes out and tried inserting a different tube in there,and the same thing happened,not able to fully seat the tube,so I took a flashlite and a small paperclip and inserted it into each pin socket to check the heights,and I found several that were twisted and just not looking very good.

I began with working on the pin sockets that were giving me problems,used Deoxit and a small screwdriver and got them just kinda ok,so after trying to seat another tube in there it was the same,so I got 1 of some JJ 6l6-gc's that I know are good out of my EVH 5150-3 100 watt head I had,and filed 1 of the pins down slowly where the main problem pin socket was and kept checking it,and finally after filing and lightly sanding pin down I got the tube to fully seat.

I installed the other 3 tubes in and fired the amp up hoping my hack job on the tube pin wasn't going to blow my awesome Peavey 5150 head up,and I got lucky because no smoke,horrible noise(s) etc coming out of the speakers so I flicked off to on on the standby switch and there it was,that awesome 5150 grind and overall just awesomeness tone i LOVE !

Ok,now to why I am writing this..I am making a list of a few parts that I want to have on hand in case of problems,which I hope not,but I want to eventually replace that tube socket,and have been looking at whats available,and I have come up with a BELTON 8 pin chassis saddle mount Micalex socket with solder lugs..is this correct and what I need? looks like the power tube board is still riveted in place,maybe originally and thinking this is the "Chassis Mount" part of the sockets description ? The socket has the 2 holes to where the rivets are holding it into place,but from what I have read or I think I've seen is the base of the actual socket is mounted onto the PCB,so I am really unsure if this is the "solder lugs" in the description.

Also I have seen the Bakelite sockets,so is this a "preference" thing,Micalex or Bakelight ? I am looking at getting the Micalex ones due to availability.

Also the Micalex sockets are advertised with 1-3/16"-1-1/4" hole,which I figure is the chassis size hole,which is 1-1/4" on my amps chassis..mounting screw holes 1-1/2" center-to center,which I haven't measured yet but look like the common size.

So to wrap it up any information on correct tube socket type,preferences,etc will be greatly appreciated ! Sorry I described above the best I could about what happened about the tube problem with my amp,and what/how I did to get the tube to seat fully..and also wondering if this has happened to anyone else here ? Thanks again !!

Or CALL peavey and order new sockets for the 5150. WHATEVER they are called, Peavey will have the correct ones.

Look at the existing sockets. They are riveted to the chassis, and soldered to the board. Don't over think it. The pins of the socket extend to the circuit board, where they are soldered in place. Call them lugs if you like.

But my main questions is this: aside from aesthetics, did that 1/8" actually cause any problems? If not, why are we fixing it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Or CALL peavey and order new sockets for the 5150. WHATEVER they are called, Peavey will have the correct ones.

Look at the existing sockets. They are riveted to the chassis, and soldered to the board. Don't over think it. The pins of the socket extend to the circuit board, where they are soldered in place. Call them lugs if you like.

But my main questions is this: aside from aesthetics, did that 1/8" actually cause any problems? If not, why are we fixing it.
      Hi Enzo,its been a long time...

anyway I am not going to replace the socket right now,I just want to have some extra parts for this amp in case something happens,like extra input jacks,speaker jacks,effects loop jacks and maybe a few relays..over on the other forum I have picked the 5150 threads apart and other than some mishaps they seem fairly reliable..

The amp sounds amazing and happy I finally bought one,but like I said I always like to have extra parts,fuses,tubes etc on hand..I hate waiting when I have to order something when I could of already had it on hand..

I am glad I returned here,so many great threads here and awesome technical responses and answers.

Comment

Working...
      X