DC30 clone issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerry113377 View Post
    I did find that the output transformer P2 green and P1 yellow are swapped but I don't see how that would make any difference.
    OT phasing can be critical. I don't see a NFB loop here so it shouldn't matter if there is none, but it's sure easy enough to check by reversing those wires. Parasitics can be very finicky.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      The Ceriatone uses .01uf an this makes more sense than 0.1uf. It would do no harm to change them and may be a fix......
      Agree. A lot of what I hear seems to be just gain noise and lower value coupling caps should help with that.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Tonight I clipped and rerouted some grounds. Almost all of the hum is gone. The main issue right now is when I plug into Channel 2 with nothing in channel 1, I will turn CH1 volume up and get an almost normal volume increase
        And with both channels all the way done, I still get guitar sound from the speakers. I will order the .01uf PI caps and install them.

Comment

With your volume pots on zero, measure the individual resistances from wiper to ground - there should be zero ohms. Also, be certain that the ground point is good for both channels. Measure from the ground side of each pot (at the pot leg) to chassis ground.

I think the volume interaction is down to a wiring or grounding error. Again, if you post some detailed pics someone may spot something that's not right.

Comment

I followed the Ceriatone grounding scheme as on the layout, with the star ground, and also used an aluminum sheet as a shield as shown. The amp has exceptionally low hum and is the quietest of any amp I’ve built. The shield is between the row of preamp tube sockets and the output transformer.

Comment

When I disconnect the CH1 treble pot wiper, all the hum stopped. I guess I am going to leave it like that for now until I have time to rewire and replace some components. At least I have half an amp. It sounds great on the EF86 side. Thank you all for your help

Comment

Working...
              X