Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Output Transformer has 3 taps, 2 are bad, 1 is good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a link to an earlier post from a few years ago. The original design needs a small modification - see post #11

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ht=ring+tester

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
      Here's a link to an earlier post from a few years ago. The original design needs a small modification - see post #11

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ht=ring+tester
      I fondly remember checking this project out a couple of years back. originally designed for CRT flybacks, yeah?
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I built up a little neon test rig for testing for shorted turns in transformers.

C.A.T.T. test demo

worked out so well that I decided to build one using an aluminum Hammond enclosure that was portable, and would stand up under years of abuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA99D410-ED82-47F3-82BD-F97F4A6190ED.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	856893

Is there any advantage to the ring tester over this?
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

The ring tester shows intermediate failure conditions that a neon tester won't detect. So long a the strike voltage of the neon is exceeded then it will illuminate, so you can have an impaired/marginal transformer that reads good. It can also tell you which winding is shorted or lower inductance. So I may see a green LED on one half and an amber on the other, yet the transformer may read good with the neon. I find that It will also work with lower inductance transformers that won't generate sufficient voltage to light a neon even where no fault exists, such as SMPS transformers, some chokes and other coils. For that purpose its worth making the sensitivity switchable for high/low inductance

Comment

Working...
          X