No announcement yet.

Solarus --no output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$140 is a lot less than I would have guessed.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That's not bad. To be honest, it's been a long time since I looked for a replacement OT for a UL amp.

I'd still make some resistance measurements on your OT. You hate to spend that much money and the problem is elsewhere. I always do every check possible before I shoot an output transformer.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Well, once you decide it ha to come out, pull it, and take the end bells off and try to check the connections between winding wire and the insulated lead wires. Might have a failed connection or a broken wire.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

^^^^^^ That! Another good reason to do the resistance checks. It might lead you to a simple transformer repair instead of replacement.

Comment

I just took resistance readings on a Dynaco 40W amp that sits near my computer as a chrome monument. Plate to plate, 185 Ohms. One side to center tap, plate 102.4 Ohms, screen 34.2 Ohms. Other side, plate 88.3 Ohms screen 29.6. One side went crazy with my meter, had to clip a short across the secondary.
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
              I just took resistance readings on a Dynaco 40W amp that sits near my computer as a chrome monument. Plate to plate, 185 Ohms. One side to center tap, plate 102.4 Ohms, screen 34.2 Ohms. Other side, plate 88.3 Ohms screen 29.6. One side went crazy with my meter, had to clip a short across the secondary.
              These readings are very close to what i just measured on mine !

also 1 side plate to other side plate = 300 ohms
              1 side screen to other side screen = 102 ohms

Comment

What about the secondary?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  If you really gotta know,

4 wire measurements to the black common wire (no averaging):

4 Ohm tap, 0.36390
                  8 Ohm tap, 0.48331
                  16 Ohm tap, 0.71211 (1047 Ohm feedback network in parallel)
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

OR1 TO BLK 1 OHM

OR2 (not used ) TO BLK 0.8 OHM

YELL TO BLK 1.2 OHM

PRIMARIES TO SECONDARIES `---OPEN

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                      is that trans dead then ??

Comment

is that trans dead then ??
                        Not clear yet.The DCR readings are not suspicious, but a shorted turn won't show in DCR readings. I recommend the neon bulb test.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Ok---i found it.....................the freakin power tube sockets must be really dirty or corroded , (i cleaned them) or need tensioned . I pulled the el34s out and stuck in a diff pair just to try that--amp fired right up ! The original pair now works too.

Now onto the rest of the Bolloks.........pretty bad low freq hum going on..its there with Master at 0, and whats weird is it kind of goes away when turrning the Master vol from 3 -6 , then it returns at 7-10 real bad ! All the high voltage electrolytics / filter caps are new

The trem circuit works ! The reverb = i can hear it trying if i bang on the tank...but no verb out of the speaker. The cables seem to be ok..

Comment

Working...
                          X