1975 Sunn Concert Lead distortion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 Sunn Concert Lead distortion question

I'm trying to get this silver-faced head serviced in prep for it's sale. I don't understand the relationship between "BOOST" and "DISTORT" on the footswitch. If I press DISTORT I can clearly hear the volume increase which I assume to be normal and distortion works, however, when I press BOOST the overall volume gets reduced significantly ... maybe by 75%. Before I go crazy trying to fix this issue ... is this normal? I would think that if you're playing at a certain volume and press the BOOST switch the overall volume would increase. An Owner's Manual might clear this up but I don't have one. Thanks!
    Last edited by gbyxbee; 02-28-2020, 12:43 AM.

Doesn't it have a distortion level control on one of the channels? If not, it may be the wrong footswitch.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Actually I made a mistake. It is BOOST that decreases the volume significantly when I take a jumper from the BOOST footswitch conductor to ground. It is doing the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do.

Comment

It sounds like your version is the one on pg.10 of attached schematic.
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The boost circuit seems to be a simple resistive voltage divider. With switch 'open' one branch of the divider terminates through a 470k resistor, which swamps lower series resistance leading to very little voltage reduction. With switch 'closed' the 470k resistor is bypassed to ground and the attenuation is higher.
          So, the feature seems to work correctly. You are just thinking that the switch works backwards. ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X