Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation Transformer Steps Up VAC

MEF Members....

A general question about Isolation Transformers. I have a Tripp Lite Isolator (converted from hospital grade, removing the ground strap from the neutral lug to the chassis) and a transformer that was pulled from a Viz WP-32 Isolation /Variac all in one. Both isolation transformers are stepping up the VAC from 117 vac that comes out of the wall to 123 vac. Is this common or any reason for the step up?

Thanks, Tom

Just a guess, but it's probable that the transformers are more accurate when at or near their current rating. If they provided a 1:1 unloaded then they would sag below that with a load.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Transformers need nominal load for nominal output voltage. No load voltages will be higher than nominal taking care of sag (= voltage drop across internal resistance).
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-01-2020, 07:17 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks to you both...

I thought about the no load vs loaded scenario. So just to play it safe, I use a Variac after the iso to dial in vac before testing.

Comment

Working...
        X