Peavey Austin 400 Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Austin 400 Amplifier

I have the opportunity to locally purchase a Peavey Austin 400 amplifier. I haven't contacted the seller yet, but I'm just trying to get a feel for this amp. Interesting combination of acoustic and electric guitar inputs. Crazy loud, heavy and versatile from what I've read online.

These seem to have been a small production manufacturing run? I was wondering if you're familiar with this particular amp (since you were authorized to repair Peavey)?

This particular specimen, is for sale for $150.00. Said to be in "good" condition. It was most likely manufactured in the 1980's. I'm interested in picking this up and perhaps after some (hopefully) minor reconditioning, donating it to a local high school music department or a local non-profit theater.

The Austin 400 is a typical Peavey heavey weight, a solid amp that will run forever. It was stock with two 12" Scorpion Speakers and the dual Piezo tweeter horn. Typical maintenance is cleaning the pots, jacks, RCA connectors on the Reverb tank, etc. I would maybe go a step further and pull the ICs and clean the sockets. If the Power Supply voltages are ok, done. Othewise, check the PS caps. Also check the speakers!! A friend once bought an amp that was off a copy and paste add from the net but he did not check to see that the speakers were some cheap brand X.

If you notice, recent makes and models of Acoustic Guitar amps are of the smaller and more compact versions. You can only get so loud before the guitar starts to feedback. So a 2x12 configuration is an overkill for this type of amp. But, if it all checks out, $150 is a fair price. I typically see these for $200 to $250.

Comment

I think modern "acoustic amps" are for exactly that, acoustic guitars with pickups. This I think is more oriented to a pedal steel player. It has an acoustic input as well, though.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I think modern "acoustic amps" are for exactly that, acoustic guitars with pickups. This I think is more oriented to a pedal steel player. It has an acoustic input as well, though.
        According to the Peavey assets page this one was specifically to give a lead channel for electric and the other channel for acoustic, so kind double duty thing. I would think there are similarities to some of the pedal steel amps especially in the power amp. https://assets.peavey.com/literature...s/80370411.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
          According to the Peavey assets page this one was specifically to give a lead channel for electric and the other channel for acoustic, so kind double duty thing. I would think there are similarities to some of the pedal steel amps especially in the power amp. https://assets.peavey.com/literature...s/80370411.pdf
          Thanks for the replies. Just the kind of information I was looking for. I'll have to meditate and consider whether or not to buy this.

Comment

Just be aware this is a CLEAN amp. Any distortion or modeling pedal is going to sound like ass with the piezo horns if not destroy them. Many people disconnect them.

Comment

Working...
            X