Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	876397
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3B25CE76-BA6A-4257-A080-39958B6F2914.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	876398

*sigh*
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
    Dear GAWD, what have they done??
    Aw, my cousin Melvin replaced that plug, he's a perfeshn'l 'lectrish'n! Mel also threw out my 3 amp fuse, he said it was a girlie fuse. He put in a 30 amp fuse, and gave me a bag full more to replace all the rest 'a my fuses with. What a guy! His friends call him "Sparky."
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Hopefully no one was killed or injured.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Hopefully no one was killed or injured.
        Luckily , no one was killed or injured.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Is this too close or sensitive an issue to get a back story? How did this happen? Who did it?

EDIT: And... Not saying it's wrong, but do you always clamp your AC cords in a vice!?!

Last edited by Chuck H; 03-06-2020, 02:18 AM.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Holy Smokes Batman!!
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

What the Crap-Toaster...

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                Is this too close or sensitive an issue to get a back story? How did this happen? Who did it?......
                Yes. Enquiring minds want to know!
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Well,it aint right but as long as the other end of the wire is connected the same,i.e. the black wire is connected to the chassis ground,nobody is gonna get killed or injured and you wouldnt even know about it if you didnt open it up.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
                    Well,it aint right but as long as the other end of the wire is connected the same,i.e. the black wire is connected to the chassis ground,nobody is gonna get killed or injured and you wouldnt even know about it if you didnt open it up.
                    Maybe not just noodling at home. But what about a circuit failure causes a hot chassis? Or you're at a gig holding your guitar and touch the PA that some pucknuckle plugged into an extension cord without a ground pin?

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Maybe not just noodling at home. But what about a circuit failure causes a hot chassis? Or you're at a gig holding your guitar and touch the PA that some pucknuckle plugged into an extension cord without a ground pin?
                      Well what he means is if everything is oriented correctly at both ends the unit will still operate safely in practical terms: they are just colors after all. Having said that it's not a practice I would condone.

For example if a well-meaning tech were to come along and rewire the plug correctly, without checking the other end, there could of course be catastrophic results.

Comment

Originally posted by minim View Post
                        Well what he means is if everything is oriented correctly at both ends the unit will still operate safely in practical terms: they are just colors after all. Having said that it's not a practice I would condone.

For example if a well-meaning tech were to come along and rewire the plug correctly, without checking the other end, there could of course be catastrophic results.
                        Good point. I hope SoulFetish will report on that. And post #5

Comment

Good point. I hope SoulFetish will report on that. And post #5
                          Yeah, I just realized that I gave you guys no context or backstory! It must read a little differently than it did for me posting that in the middle of a repair job. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by minim View Post

For that reason, the colors absolutely matter in a mains plug, and mains wiring.

So, let me give you the back story..
                          I found this, just as you see it, installed on the power cord of a Hotrod Deluxe amp that came in for routine maintainance.
                          (I check all amps that come in with these replacement plugs to make sure that they are safe).
                          This is exactly the reason why I open these up to inspect the wiring.
                          To be clear, the other end of the cable was wired with the original wiring.. This was NOT safe. I mean, this is 0-3. Not one of these go to the correct terminal. He, and who knows who else, were just lucky he didn't attach the green wire to the live plug end, or he'd probably be tits up now.

So, yeah, this was one for the ages

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                            What the Crap-Toaster...

Justin
                            Reminds me of when one of the technical staff at Cherokee Recording Studios had installed replacement power cables in our monitor system power amps. After the sparks flew and we shut it down, there it was....black wire connected to chassis inside the amp. I asked the chap who completed the wiring task what the colors in the WHT/BLK/GRN power cord were. 'Well, BLK is, of course Ground, and the WHT and GRN don't really matter, since they're passing the mains current".

So much for his knowledge. Dangerous assumption. Never assume your youngsters on the technical staff know all they need to know.

BTW, I also lightly hold AC Mains cables or Speaker Cables in the small vise I have clamped to the bench. Just tight enough to hold it, NOT tight enough to do any damage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Vise holding spkr cable-1.jpg
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	856932 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Vise holding spkr cable-2.jpg
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	856933
                            Last edited by nevetslab; 03-06-2020, 09:37 PM. Reason: added photos
                            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                              I found this, just as you see it, installed on the power cord of a Hotrod Deluxe amp that came in for routine maintainance.
                              (I check all amps that come in with these replacement plugs to make sure that they are safe).
                              This is exactly the reason why I open these up to inspect the wiring.
                              By coincidence, today's amp repair was another HR Deluxe, also had its AC plug replaced. Checked with the ohm meter - what's this? Black & white were swapped according to the meter, and when I opened the plug my eyes confirmed it. Less of a sin than what we saw in SoulFetish's plug, but incorrect anyway. So - if you encounter a cable or plug that's been replaced - check it out! Might save some grief.
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                              X