No announcement yet.

Nope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago, I was talking to Tom at Magic Parts, and they had some blowout cheap IEC power cords, I think they were the extra useful 8-foot ones. But they were cheap, like a dollar or something. I was going to buy like 10 or 20 of them. He asked why I wanted them. I told him that it was far cheaper to buy an IEC cord and cut the female end off when replacing power cords. Buying actual replacement cords - molded male, loose wires on other end - were much more expensive.

He then told me, the cords he had were so cheap because the internal wiring was wrong color. Electrically they were right inside, and since the ends were all molded, they worked just fine as power cords in IEC sockets. But he refused to sell them to me for my use, because the green wire at the female end was not ground, etc. So as the above posts report, if I used it, someone in the future could make faulty assumptions about the wire functions based on their colors. I actually thought that was pretty classy of Tom.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey Nevetslab,

I can see where that logic would come from, and it would come from incomplete knowledge... Cuz most amps I open use black for all the ground wires, & in Fenders anyway, "green" = heaters.

I remember reading in the AARL anual that there were suggested color codes for wiring innards of equipment... I tried following it once, but then didn't feel like ordering a bunch of colors. So I made up my own. Green for heaters & black for grounds- of course!

Though it might be hilarious to see what happens if someone connects the safety ground to the heaters... Hmmmmm... GOTTA GO!

Jusrin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

My band use to play this little dive near a huge Navy base. It was always a great crowd and a fun show, but for one thing...

The owner of the place fancied himself as pretty handy and did all his own maintenance. Including replacing all the AC outlets in the place. I didn't carry a receptacle tester then but I know at least several were wrong because of all the shocks we got from our gear. I told the guy and even offered to redo the stage area for free, but he took some offense at his work being suspect and that was that. We knew of two stage outlets that were at least wired the same, maybe even correctly. So whenever we played there we all plugged into just those two. It was that venue that got me to buy a bag of spit guards and got our singer to go wireless.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

We have to be aware we operate in electronics, and we have color codes and other standards. The main is part of the electrical grid and they are electrical, not electronic. SO their color codes may, and do, differ from ours.

And things we take for granted in the USA don't apply elsewhere. Our black/white/green is not the same as the Euro blue/brown/green-yellow. I grew up knowing transformer color codes. Like OT plates were brown and blue with red CT. PT red for HT, green for heaters yellow for 5v, blue for mid volts, and I used to know tons of others, like interstage xfmrs and stuff. And then I encountered things like Marshall OT wiring with pink or white or who knows.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Many years ago I had a Hi-watt amp to repair. The first thing I did was put it up on the bench, plug it in and turn it on. I instantly FLEW back about 8 feet.
            Someone had mixed up the wires between the standby and power switches, and of course disconnected the chassis ground wire. I figure I was getting 120VAC
            on top of 650VDC. I was a little buzzed for about an hour. Touching 120VAC never bothered me before that. Now when I get vintage 2-wire chassis I clip a ground wire on
            before plugging in just in case.

Back to the original topic. Years ago my sister called me, she had just replaced the plug on her electric lawnmower and it wasn't working. I asked her about the wire colours and she said
            "Oh, I just hooked them up any which way". She survived.

Comment

Oh and by the way, the vice was just to take the pictures
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                I can see where that logic would come from, and it would come from incomplete knowledge... Cuz most amps I open use black for all the ground wires, & in Fenders anyway, "green" = heaters.
                The house I'm living in was wired in the early half of the 20th century. Cloth-covered 110VAC wiring, and of course no ground, only N and L. Different color code than I'm used to? I think it was just seat-of-the-pants wiring by the same feller who put his 16"-center studs anywhere from 14" to 17" or more. made it a hassle to install an attic fan, but that's another story. Anyway, it took me a few attempts before I realized black was neutral and white was line voltage. Of course, maybe what I saw as white was actually a very faded red? At least THAT would make sense.
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

My hundred year old farmhouse had cloth wwiring. MY grandmother's house had the old knob and tube wiring. Pretty cool in its own way, but scary in today's world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    My hundred year old farmhouse had cloth wwiring. MY grandmother's house had the old knob and tube wiring. Pretty cool in its own way, but scary in today's world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring
                    Yup, seen it. But I wouldn't allow it in MY house
                    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

In the UK appliances of any kind were sold without a fitted mains plug right up until the late 70s or early 80s. Because we have cartridge fuses in the plug, and the plug was marked rated for 13A, people thought that was the required fuse size. So pretty much everything had a 13A fuse and the plugs were very often badly wired. My dad had a few really nasty shocks - 240V hits very hard.

Our first house had lead sheathed wiring - lightweight multi-strand conductors with fabric insulation and a lead protective sheath. All run on the surface and painted over with gloss enamel paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        Many years ago, I was talking to Tom at Magic Parts, and they had some blowout cheap IEC power cords, I think they were the extra useful 8-foot ones. But they were cheap, like a dollar or something. I was going to buy like 10 or 20 of them. He asked why I wanted them. I told him that it was far cheaper to buy an IEC cord and cut the female end off when replacing power cords. Buying actual replacement cords - molded male, loose wires on other end - were much more expensive.

He then told me, the cords he had were so cheap because the internal wiring was wrong color. Electrically they were right inside, and since the ends were all molded, they worked just fine as power cords in IEC sockets. But he refused to sell them to me for my use, because the green wire at the female end was not ground, etc. So as the above posts report, if I used it, someone in the future could make faulty assumptions about the wire functions based on their colors. I actually thought that was pretty classy of Tom.
                        I remember that - rarely did I get any phone time with Tom, but his salesman clued me on to this botch. I applaud their honesty. And remember - if it's too good a deal maybe there's a reason for it. Other dealers might not have been so forthcoming.
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                        X