Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What winding direction of SD HB bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What winding direction of SD HB bobbins?

Hi,
    I have wound a HB w. the bobbins counter clockwise. Unfortunately when switched together w. a Seymour Duncan 57 PAF it sounds out of phase into the middle position. I suspect that the SD bobbins were wound clockwise but I'm not sure and puzzled. Anybody knows the winding direction of the Seymour Duncan PAF 57?

You can swap the leads . Why would Seymour & his team wound PAF style pickups different direction than of the Originator .Especially when they own one of the winding machine. the Lessona 102 ?
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yes, that's what I thought too, but then this particular SD PAF is an old production pickup. I believe it is about 20 years old. I wasn't sure if they were doing it differently back then. Are you referring to swapping the leads at the bobbins or at he potentiometer like using the braided negative shield as the hot end and making the inner core the negative end? I have already soldered the cover on the pickup. Swapping the wires at the potentiometer would be much easier although not elegant.
      Is there a drawback when swapping at the potentiometer end, like less shielding or buzz?

Comment

You may reverse the magnet to change the PU phase.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          You may reverse the magnet to change the PU phase.
          Hm, that's an other option to try out. Here's what I did so far: I took off the cover and resoldered the bobbin wires. I went w. the B&W color scheme, so instead of the two white wires that have been connected I changed it all vise versa. The two black wires I soldered together and the white ones accordingly to the base and the hot wire of the braided wire. It still sounded out of phase. Both magnets, the neck magnet and the magnet of my newly wound bridge magnet are in the same direction. Spooky

Comment

All right, figured out that I had confused the wired at the bobbins. Anyway, since I had originally wound my bobbins CCW and due to a strange out of phase effect had to reverse the windings by rearranging the bobbin wires I believe that the old SD PAF 57 must have been wound CW, clockwise. Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

You cant swap the leads on a 2 conductor braided wire to reverse the phase of the pickup . you will have to go inside & reverse it inside.
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                You cant swap the leads on a 2 conductor braided wire to reverse the phase of the pickup . you will have to go inside & reverse it inside.
                Yepp, I already did it inside. Works all fine now.

Comment

Working...
                X