Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying amp

Hi There,

Does anybody got some information about this amp?
    Seems there is no information online at all...

Thanks and greetings from The Netherlands!

Last edited by Chuck H; 03-08-2020, 06:26 PM. Reason: Added photo's

Images aren't working for me. Maybe try a different way of uploading images. One did pop up briefly, but then disappeared before the page was finished loading. I did catch the manufacturers name and the model number and did some searching. The model number didn't get any results. The manufacturer was easy to find though and there are a lot of vintage amps under the brand names 'Prince' and 'Piggy' made by this company. Here's a written profile of the company from when it was making guitar amplifiers. ("Prince Tsushinkogyo" seventh one down, last on the list).

http://audiotools.com/en_mi_dead_p.html

EDIT: I got the images up by reloading the page repeatedly. OOops! One just disappeared again!?! This manufacturer made mostly solid state amps and since this is a "mixing amplifier" (old style PA head) I'll suppose that it's solid state. Solid state from Japan in that era isn't going to have any collectors value. But the companies products are said to be pretty good and reliable in the article. I'd say if it works well then use it if you have a use for it. That's the limit of it's value. If it needs repair you're almost on your own. Though we can certainly help with any well structured electronics questions you're not likely to find a schematic or anyone with experience working on that particular model.

EDIT 2: I've been trying to correct the poor image loading and now I can't reload images onto your post.?. I get a bulletin that says "You've exceeded your allowance by blah blah blah". Maybe a daily upload limit? I'm uploading versions of your images on MY post here because I can't put them back onto your post other than the "add image" option. Which can't be viewed by every member here depending on their viewing circumstances. Sorry for the confusion.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Chuck H; 03-08-2020, 06:30 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

His images opened fine for me.

Looks like a very basic solid state mixer of that era to me. Any other print on the rear panel? Especially like output power? The mixer function itself is self explanatory.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        His images opened fine for me.
        Those aren't his original images. Before I took them off and put lower res versions back on through THIS site hosting rather than an external image host they wouldn't load.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Oh.... Hey, I'm old...
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

@Chuck H Thank you very much!!!! So much help
            The Amp is still functioning perfectly till this day.
            I got it a few years ago of someone who was gonna take it to the trash.
            Very pleased with this one, because of the looks. I attached an extra picture of the back.

Greetings from The Netherlands

Comment

https://jedistar.com/prince-amplifier/
              Prince Amplifier Tsushinkogyo, Nagoya Japan

http://audiotools.com/en_mi_dead_p.html

https://www.guitar-list.com/brands/prince-tsushinkogyo

Prince Tsushinkogyo Co Ltd logo

Prince Tsushinkogyo Co. Ltd. (Prince Telecommunication and Engineering) was founded in 1950 in Nagoya, Japan. They concentrated on making tuners and solid state musical instrument amplifiers which were sold under the Prince brand names as well as others (such as Memphis). The company began to use the Arion brand name in 1980 and began making guitar effects pedals. The company's fortunes declined in the 1990s and by 1997 Arion was sold to the Ueno Kaihatsu Center, who continued making pedals and tuners, but discontinued the amplifiers.
              It's All Over Now

Comment

Great that it works Might want to open it up and make sure none of the old electrolytic caps are bulging or leaking. Those particular components do have a life span. You can sometimes get many decades from them, but sometimes not. If the amp is noisy at all it could be due to those capacitor types. Especially in the power supply. If none are bulging or leaking and the amp is quiet I say just use it. Like Enzo said, mixer amps of this configuration were typical of the era and even now I think they can be useful for small gigs or as monitor amps. My band had an old Peavey very much like that unit and when we upgraded our PA we still used it for the stage monitors and sometimes as a power amp for fill music between sets.

Comment

Working...
                X