Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you kind folks help me with my first build? single channel non Rev, non trem, 6l6 "Blackvibe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you kind folks help me with my first build? single channel non Rev, non trem, 6l6 "Blackvibe

I am looking to do my first build using Rob Robinettes Blackvibe boardhttps://robrobinette.com/images/Guit...IBE_Layout.pdf. It will be a single channel AB763 type with no reverb or tremolo using a pair of 6L6's and a Gz34 rectifier. I am using a slightly larger ClassicTone Power Transformer # 40-18029http://www.classictone.net/40-18029.html and a ClassicTone 40W Output Transformer # 40-18006http://www.classictone.net/40-18006.html

I am hoping to have a custom chassis drilled in a smaller size if possible. I have seen a few folks that offer this service. Might this design fit into a Princeton sized chassis with my larger transformer?

Here is a picture of my helper Ella

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ella in car smaller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	876411
    Last edited by rosssurf; 03-10-2020, 05:49 PM.

My first thought is that yeah it should fit. Then I saw the note on Rob's drawing saying that he recommends an AB 763 Pro chassis. According to the FAFG the cabinet width difference between a Pro and a Princeton is a full 8". Do you know the length of the board?

If you're getting a custom chassis bent and drilled then you could almost surely cut down on the size but depending on the measurements it may not reduce all the way down to Princeton size but looks like it could get close. That would of course also require a custom sized cab.
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
      If you're getting a custom chassis bent and drilled then you could almost surely cut down on the size but depending on the measurements it may not reduce all the way down to Princeton size but looks like it could get close. That would of course also require a custom sized cab.
      You might want to look at what's available at Allen Amplification. Some of his amps are pretty close to what you're proposing to do. Maybe you'll find a chassis & box that will suit your project. Good transformers available there too.

Ella looks like she would be great at sniffing out problems. And for sure she knows what's going on in the doghouse.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
        My first thought is that yeah it should fit. Then I saw the note on Rob's drawing saying that he recommends an AB 763 Pro chassis. According to the FAFG the cabinet width difference between a Pro and a Princeton is a full 8". Do you know the length of the board?

The board is only 9 3/8 inches long. I did see that he recommends the Pro chassis but I forgot to mention that I will be making this a head and not a combo. I specifically got the transformer with the 4/8/16 Ohm taps to try different speaker arrangements and cabinets

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          You might want to look at what's available at Allen Amplification. Some of his amps are pretty close to what you're proposing to do. Maybe you'll find a chassis & box that will suit your project. Good transformers available there too.

Ella looks like she would be great at sniffing out problems. And for sure she knows what's going on in the doghouse.
          I have already procured the transformers, tube sockets , wire and small components separately , so I wouldn't really need one of Allen's kits. I just need a chassis. I will be building the head cabinet myself with Ella's help of course. She's no "Rusty" from Uncle Doug's videos but she's learning I was just thinking that with the board only being 9 3/8 long and only having 2 preamp tubes and 4 controls it might fit. But, alas I am new at this and posted in case there are some things I am failing to consider due to being a rookie. Thank you both for your helpful responses.

Comment

Remember that boards also have width, there has to be room for the board plus the controls on one side and the tube sockets and rear jacks on the other.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Remember that boards also have width, there has to be room for the board plus the controls on one side and the tube sockets and rear jacks on the other.
              Sorry' bout that. The board is 3" wide

Comment

Then you don't want one of those 4" chassis.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by rosssurf View Post
                  The board is only 9 3/8 inches long. I did see that he recommends the Pro chassis but I forgot to mention that I will be making this a head and not a combo. I specifically got the transformer with the 4/8/16 Ohm taps to try different speaker arrangements and cabinets
                  The princeton amp, not just the chassis, is 16" wide. Take away the cabinet wood thickness and you're left with 14.5" or less. That leaves approx 5" with zero additional clearance for the PT footprint. I don't think that's gonna work.

Here's the link for the FAFG. It's a great resource. http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

This is exactly the fun sort of considerations you have to do on a first build or any build. Enjoy and explore it to the fullest.
                  ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by rosssurf View Post
                    I have already procured the transformers, tube sockets , wire and small components separately , so I wouldn't really need one of Allen's kits. I just need a chassis.
                    You have everything but the chassis, still you might find one that fits your needs at Allen. If you do, ask. The worst that can happen is "no I won't sell you just a chassis." Given the thin market, and the need for vendors to sell stuff any way they can, I doubt he would turn you down.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks . I will reach out to Allen

Comment

Working...
                      X