No announcement yet.

Peavey 5150 and a burning smell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original 5150 averaged maybe 15ma idle current. Honest. I'd find 11ma to 16ma roughly. I never bothered to check in the combo, but I'd expect similar. The 5150 Combo is not just a 5150 repackaged, it is a different amp.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So a good question might be: Who biased the one Dukoduko has hot? And why?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Some guy on the internet said it will sound better, so it must be true.

Or, it wasn't intentional and the bias supply circuit has an issue- bad filter cap, open resistor, etc.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The tech said he 'checked the bias', which does not necessarily mean it's adjustable. I'm assuming not unless it has been installed by someone. That he thought it was hot but didn't change it makes me think it would have required resistor change.
          Stock bias should accommodate any 'hot' new tube without red-plating, so I'm inclined to think there is a bias circuit fault. Or bad new power tubes.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

or he's smelling deoxit heating up and evaporating from the tube sockets if it just came out of the shop.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
            X