Ampeg BA-115 voltage cap concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg BA-115 voltage cap concern

Hi, i want to recap my ampeg bass amp, bought in the 2000's. I am replacing the input jacks at the moment and thought i should replace BIG caps C6 / C14 4700u 50V caps while its open.
    My question is : can i replace the two caps with nichicon 4700uf 63v cap? Would the increase in voltage damage the way the amp would run? i have them on hand (63v), i would have to order 50v caps if not advisable. thank again for your help

A higher voltage rating of the caps has no influence on performance.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

i am not familiar with ampeg amps at all to know enough of how the circuit would react
      thank you

Comment

Another way to think of it is, the cap's voltage rating is a "do not exceed" value.
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dandrix View Post
          i am not familiar with ampeg amps at all to know enough of how the circuit would react
          thank you
          My statement above is a general one, doesn't depend on the circuit.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

You are not changing any voltage in the circuit, you are just using stronger parts.

Imagine you have a step ladder rated for 200 pounds. Now you replace it with a ladder rated for 250 pounds. You don't wind up gaining 50 pounds. Same idea.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What you may find while browsing the distributor's available replacement capacitors for this task, is the case size may be smaller. Scaling the Parts Layout drawing, you have a max case diameter of 30mm and the Snap-In Lead spacing requirement of 10mm, which is a very common size. Advances in electrolytic capacitors over the years has resulted in smaller case size in many parts. Higher voltage ratings, as well as higher temperature ratings (105 deg C vs 85 deg C) are both improvement you can select, which will fit into your PCB.
              Last edited by nevetslab; 03-18-2020, 12:45 AM.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                Another way to think of it is, the cap's voltage rating is a "do not exceed" value.
                A little confusing, I prefer 'do not go less than', the voltage rating of the original part.

(edit: confusing in context of the original question I mean. I understand your statement and it is correct. Voltage rating must not be exceeded in circuit. Voltage rating of replacement part may exceed original)
                Last edited by g1; 03-18-2020, 09:12 PM.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X