Virus shop precautions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus shop precautions

Two amps came in today. I put them where I want them and then scrubbed my hands. I am considering not touching them for three days, because I have read that is the longest this Corona virus can live. I may make this shop policy until further notice. What do you think?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    Two amps came in today. I put them where I want them and then scrubbed my hands. I am considering not touching them for three days, because I have read that is the longest this Corona virus can live. I may make this shop policy until further notice. What do you think?
    I'd spray/scrub the coverings with Lysol before the 3-day quarantine. And yes, I have heard the virus is viable a few hours to a few days for most surfaces. Softer, more protective substrate gives it longevity.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I think you have to saturate and leave it wet for quite a bit for it to really do it's job. I don't like the idea of doing that to someone else's amp, especially if it damaged something.

Comment

I have Spray bottles filled with bleach water around.
        I daily spray the door handles, wipe down surfaces with it.
        I sprayed my gate, and mail box, inside and out yesterday.
        1/3 cup of bleach to a gallon of water.
        The spray bottles, I got in bulk at sams club.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

What about guitars? I take in as many guitars as amps and they seem to me to be a greater risk.

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol will kill virus and bacteria.
            Usually mixed 70% with water for medical use.
            I have it in my workshop, primarily for cleaning circuit boards and removing solder flux.

Comment

Here's the diy hand sanitizer that tedmich posted in the other thread:

Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"Do not use...they are POISONOUS"

Um, what? We're talking about disinfectant, not cocktails.
                --
                I build and repair guitar amps
                http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
                  "Do not use...they are POISONOUS"

Um, what? We're talking about disinfectant, not cocktails.
                  Yes, we're talking about HAND sanitizer.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/eme..._29750029.html
                  "inhalation of high concentrations of methanol vapor and absorption of methanol through the skin are as effective as the oral route in producing toxic effects."
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

That's great, but I do not have access to isopropyl alcohol right now.

Comment

I clean my hands with it all the time.

Comment

The stuff is dirt cheap, and I have kept a jar of it on my bench for decades. That and Qtips.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo, it's cheap usually, but have you been to anywhere that sells it lately? The shelves are bare where I am.

Comment

Oh well, yes today nothing is on the shelves. No toilet paper, no cleaning supplies, no milk, few eggs, no bread.

Normally Isopropyl comes in like 94% or so, 91%, 70%. I buy the strong, because I can always dilute it, but I have no way to make it stronger. The percent that is not alcohol is water, so the more dilute it is, the more water is on the stuff you are cleaning. They don't sell 100%, because as soon as you open it, it adsorbs water from the air and dilutes down to 90-some % on its own. Normally any drug store or grocery store.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I would't want to wipe down a vintage instrument with it, though. A poly finish would be OK but cellulose could react. For the time being I'm handling with gloves, sanitizing as much as I can and placing instruments in quarantine for at least three days. With some gear lettering will come off panels with isopropyl alcohol.

Comment

Working...
                              X