Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me understand my SD humbucker wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me understand my SD humbucker wires?

I'm new to electronics. So as much as possible, I would appreciate laymens language. Please assume I won't have more than a rudimentary understanding. I'm learning as I go. But I know how to solder things to other things to make new things.

So I got a strat copy for $50 at pawn shop. I think they thought they were taking me for a ride. But I got two SD and one Dimarzio single coil sized humbuckers for that $50 and they came gift-wrapped in a guitar!

I would like to understand what the five wires coming out these do, what they are attached to basically.

There is one each of red, white, black, green, and bare wire.

At a guess I'd say there are two ground wires, one for each coil. Then maybe one signal wire for each separate coil, and one signal wire for both? Though I don't know which is which... or even if that is the case.

Can someone please help me to understand?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Semour Duncan Wires.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	876456

Each wire is a connection to the start and finish of each coil. Don't think of them in terms of grounds for the coils - they only become a ground when attached to a ground point. The bare wire runs right through the cable and contacts the foil screen. This is the ground and screens the conductors from noise. Different manufacturers have different colour schemes and they're easy to search for, as well as hookup and switching diagrams. Bringing out the two coils to separate wires gives the flexibility to connect in series or parallel, coil tapping etc. I'd say you've got a good deal there.

Comment

This ^^^^^

please note that I've found the hard way that Seymour Duncan and DeMarzio have different color codes that made it somewhat confusing when I had the two in hand. Double check!
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Both DiMarzio & Duncan have wiring diagrams on their respective websites showing how to properly wire up their pickups.
        Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

Working...
        X