Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crate amp Pots no longer aavailable what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't find anything that will work I have a Crate amp in my bone pile with some of these I think. Don't know when I would be able to get them to you though.

Greg

Comment

They certainly liked to use 10k pots! The blue (treble) control would be a pain to change to 25k as you'd have to change every component in the tone stack so I don't recommend that route. The red reverb level can be replaced with 25k log with no problem.
      Last edited by nickb; 03-31-2020, 08:16 AM.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
        If you can't find anything that will work I have a Crate amp in my bone pile with some of these I think. Don't know when I would be able to get them to you though.

Greg
        Wow that would be awesome, let me know thank you

Comment

I would like to thank all for the input and response, it is greatly appreciated and most helpful

KenRu

Comment

Along the same line as what The Dude was saying above, even if the 10k pot is "wasted" it still may only be the wiper assembly that's bad. This is usually the case. So the wafer may be fine. And if it is you can do as Dude said and swap that wafer into another pot body with a good wiper.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Fly wires and mount it to the front panel. It’s a Crate not a vintage piece. If it’s sentimental look on eBay for a chassis pull for cheap. I had a couple but they went in the dumpster when I moved.

Comment

Some of those have odd sized dia shafts, so if you hard wire a new pot, the old knob will not fit. EDIT: looked at a Crate parts unit here and has different pots, 80's era.

Comment

These are common enough pots. These are not the old Crate pots which were unique. I have altered them with no hassle. If the new pot shaft is too long, cut it off. If it needs a D-shaft, cut away part of the shaft, My Dremel is my friend.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                  X