Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crate amp Pots no longer aavailable what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate amp Pots no longer aavailable what to do?

I have a crate amp where 2 pots are defective and need to be replaced. Unfortunately I cannot locate these pots anywhere and need ideas on how to repair.
    The existing pots are mounted to the pc board and sit freely on the board and pass through the faceplate but are not mounted to the face plate.
    I know that they are 10k pots and was thinking is it possible to remove the offending pots and solder 3 wires to the board and run them to any old 10k pot that is mounted to the faceplate.
    Its been over 30 years since I worked as a technician so not familiar with current solutions or trends and checking to see if may be other solutions.
    Thanks for any help here

Kenru

If it is the same as I think it is similar to the Fender Front man 65 pots.
    There is a seller here; amprepairparts.com/pots.htm and that will show photos of the pots for reference.
    or fleabay of course.
    I am affiliated with neither.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

A picture of them would be invaluable.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Ken...

If all else fails, you can open the pot and try to repair it.

How Do Potentiometers Work And How To Service Them. Cleaning Volume Controls

Comment

pics

some pics for reference

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
            If it is the same as I think it is similar to the Fender Front man 65 pots.
            There is a seller here; amprepairparts.com/pots.htm and that will show photos of the pots for reference.
            or fleabay of course.
            I am affiliated with neither.
            They do look identical however cant find one lower than 25k, curious what would happen if I used a 25k in place of a 10

Comment

Thx for the pic. Look like Blues Junior pots too

https://www.amprepairparts.com/fenderbljun.htm

No 10K though. Time to try cleaning.

Comment

I've seen them in many mixers as well as Fender amps.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRu View Post
                  They do look identical however cant find one lower than 25k, curious what would happen if I used a 25k in place of a 10

It depends. Post the schematic and we can tell you.

There's nothing wrong with your idea of using a compatible panel mounted pot. It might be the best and least expensive way forward. It looks a bit of a kludge admitted but it's better than tossing an otherwise working amp in the garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                    It depends. Post the schematic and we can tell you.

There's nothing wrong with your idea of using a compatible panel mounted pot. It might be the best and least expensive way forward. It looks a bit of a kludge admitted but it's better than tossing an otherwise working amp in the garbage.
                    Its a GX 212

Comment

2 different part numbers on the back, one is audio taper other is linear taper?

Comment

Originally posted by KenRu View Post
                        From the picture, it looks like the reason for replacing the 10k pot is that the shaft is broken. If that is indeed the case, take the wafer/contact portion off of the 10k pot and put it on the shaft/body of the 25K pot and you have a working 10k pot without a broken shaft.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                          2 different part numbers on the back, one is audio taper other is linear taper?
                          The red controls reverb, blue is high level on low/med/high tone control. All 4 pots have different numbers yet 3 are 10k one is 500m you would think at least 2 would match. If only it could be a simple fix

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            From the picture, it looks like the reason for replacing the 10k pot is that the shaft is broken. If that is indeed the case, take the wafer/contact portion off of the 10k pot and put it on the shaft/body of the 25K pot and you have a working 10k pot without a broken shaft.
                            The blue one is shot, tried cleaning etc. drops off, wobbles, goes full on and full off without touching it.

Comment

Ok. Saying first that replacement is best, when you can't find parts, you sometimes have to improvise. Try taking the pot apart and giving the contacts a slight bend/tightening. It often works.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X