EVM12L has kind of a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVM12L has kind of a problem

I have an EVM12L (not the one on the pic) which makes strange noises. The problem has been traced to the "thing" (I don't know what's its exact name and purpose) on the back. It's packed with dirt which is easily removed but the problem it's not fixed to anywhere and it moves. If I put a finger on it the strange noises stop.
    Since I never attempted a speaker repair my question is how to fix it (glue it?) or can I remove it (and how)?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for such problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EVM12backt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	876462

I have an EVM12L (not the one on the pic)
    What pic?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It's already there.

Comment

That's just a screen to prevent dirt or (especially!) magnetic debris from getting into the voice coil.

I hear you saying, if you use your finger to stop it vibrating, the bad noise stops, yes? Use some epoxy to glue it in place so it doesn't vibrate.
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

..but don't seal it as it's a vent that provides voice coil cooling by air flow.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Use some epoxy to glue it in place so it doesn't vibrate.
            Thanks. I was thinking of gluing it to the top plate (I can see another one couple just below) but it's always better to ask first

..but don't seal it as it's a vent that provides voice coil cooling by air flow.
            OK, no sealing.

Comment

I had a similar problem with a Peavey Scorpion Speaker. The foam disintegrated after 30 years. Thankfully, I had a microphone windshield foam cover that I was able to cut up and use.
              Last edited by TomCarlos; 03-30-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GainFreak View Post
                Thanks. I was thinking of gluing it to the top plate
                Make sure you clean off all the debris you said you found, both on the screen & speaker magnet - so your glue will stick properly.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I'll add, if you remove the screen to clean up the area and re-glue, be careful that no chunks of old glue or other debris falls into the inner workings of the speaker. It only takes a small chunk of something to cause problems.
                  Last edited by The Dude; 03-30-2020, 11:33 PM.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I think i would use RTV in this case, not glue or epoxy. I can feel that speaker just from the picture. I have one in a 1x12 cabinet, it probably ripped the baffle screws out just from sitting there collecting dust.

Comment

I'll add, if you remove the screen to clean up the area...
                      I don't see how that's possible without disassembling the speaker as the top plate looks screwed from inside. The edges of the screen/mesh look clean though.

ink i would use RTV in this case, not glue or epoxy.
                      I have one of these which looks like the thing.

http://www.soudal.eu/soudalweb/produ...&p=282&ID=1905

Comment

Working...
                      X