Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Deluxe Reverb quandry, must all my repairs be strange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Deluxe Reverb quandry, must all my repairs be strange?

1973 DR with a blackface "Fender Electric Instruments" front panel and a "Fender Musical Instruments" period correct back panel 1973 stamped inside the chassis, date codes agree.

The tube chart identifies it as an AA763, but with a 12AT7 in the tremolo V5 slot. First, I have never seen a 12AT7 as a trem oscillator, and all the schems I have ever seen call for a 12AX7. Second, from what I can gather from fenderguru.com, the AA763 ceased in 1967.

So assuming the front panel is not correct, do I also have a bogus tube chart? Perhaps with an error? Anyone ever heard of this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	876463
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

I'd have to conclude the front panel isn't original, it must either be a duplicate of the "electric" era panel. Or was swiped from a Deluxe Reverb of that period, maybe a "parts car". Also, I've never seen an AT used in the vibrato circuit. Which makes me think that tube chart is bogus. In the photo it looks a bit too new & clean for its age. The printing looks a little odd as well. Hope that's the end of the jiggery-pokery you find in there.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

And my guess is that someone made that tube chart... Compare it to those you find on the net.
      Attached Files

Comment

I vote the chart went in when the front panel went in.

I agree with the printing thing. It looks like a low rez scan or even a tracing. The lines have a crude hand drawn-ness about them. Or maybe even a tracing of a photo of a tube chart. Maybe so they could edit it. Look at how crude the tube pins are drawn. Now compare to a real one:
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bla...-/153058389228
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Tube chart looks very off.

Comment

Faceplate is a repro. Tube chart is a really bad forgery. I like how it has 6L6 scrstched over the 6V6. I'd just treat it like a 73 DR. People will go to insane lengths to try to pull one over on someone & take advantage of ignorance. Deus Ex Machina & a bunch of other Latin stuff here.

Jusrin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

That's funny. '6V6GC', and three 12AT7.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"I like how it has 6L6 scrstched over the 6V6"

I didn't even notice that. Phony for sure.
                It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

That's pretty stupid, I'm sure you could probably find a clean version of the correct tube chart somewhere.

Comment

Let's have a look at the insides - see if it's one of those phony "Fender" amps marketed in the Far East during the VietNam era. FWIW a customer bought one such amp a few years back. It was about the size of a Deluxe Reverb, but the face plate said "Showman." Inside, it was a pretty nice ptp-constructed copy of a brown Vibrolux & worked perfectly well once some basic maintenance was done. Not bad for a $50 garage sale find.
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I had one of those "Navy" amps, brought home by sailors, kind of Bassman like. Fascinating combination of decent work, and make-do scrappiness, like the hand folded chassis.
                      --
                      I build and repair guitar amps
                      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        I vote the chart went in when the front panel went in.

I agree with the printing thing. It looks like a low rez scan or even a tracing. The lines have a crude hand drawn-ness about them. Or maybe even a tracing of a photo of a tube chart. Maybe so they could edit it. Look at how crude the tube pins are drawn. Now compare to a real one:
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bla...-/153058389228
                        ..and the 6L6 changed to 6V6, badly.
                        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
                        X